Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do brakes need to be replaced, mine got replaced less then a year ago and I’m thinking they may be already worn; my fiancé heard them squeel today but there again they have kind of always squeeled off and on, since I replaced them but I can’t imagine they would have worn down in less then a year although I’ll admit I am bad about waiting till the last minute to stop. When I put them on I had 85,000 miles I’ve now went 99,000

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
It is impossible to say how long they will last.
I've seen front pads go anywhere from 30,000 to over 100,000 miles.

With that said people focus on noise way too much. Noise doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
794 Posts
Brakes are more than just pads. When calipers go bad you can have noise and pulsating. I had to replace mine at 156,000 miles. Can happen sooner too.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Part of a proper brake job is cleaning the caliper pins and lubing them. I also lube the back of pads all of these things help with noise.
Cleaning and lubricating are so important.

·
Banned
794 Posts
I started getting clunking noise from front brakes. Needed pads so shop replaced pads, turned rotors and lubed. Didn't stop the noise and pulsating. Went back to shop, replaced calipers, both left and right. No more problems. I heard one owner say he replaces calipers every 100,000 miles and hasn't had a road breakdown since. They don't last forever.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Brake pulsating comes from uneven pad material on the rotors 90% of the time. I always replace rotors during a brake job turning rotors is a thing of the past.

Brake calipers are very simple, can they cause brake pulsating yes if they are dragging this is easy to check for.

The number one issue with brake calipers is the caliper piston not retracting.

I don't throw parts at cars and I will never recommend someone to do so. My daily driver will go 100,000 miles on a set of OEM brake pads I'm easy on brakes. It would be silly to replace the calipers on the first pad replacement.

·
Banned
794 Posts
At 40,000 miles the dealer said I needed new rotors. I said baloney. My same rotors are now 20 years old, never been replaced. Turned twice, down to the minimum, working fine. No pulsating.

Many new rotors are cheap junk and warp soon. Old rotors are cured from years of heat cycles. Takes the tension out of the metal. So they say. Sounds right to me.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
You throw rotors at every brake job. Guilty in your own words.
Almost all new vehicles today the brake rotors are darn near at the minimum.
That minimum is there for a reason safety.
Higher performance vehicles use a more aggressive brake pad that eats the rotor in the process. Example I have a Fiesta ST the aggressive OEM brake pads which are awesome eat the brake rotor. This would also apply to the Focus ST and Focus RS.
Many manufacturers actually recommend that you do not turn the rotors why simply not enough material to do so.

The customer wants a quality brake job and new brake rotors help guarantee that.
The equipment that machines new rotors is normally much much better than what a shop has.

99 out of 100 brake rotors that people think are warped are not. It's uneven pad material built up on the rotor surface.
Almost all brake calipers that you buy are remanufactured units the OEM originals are normally the best. They basically clean the caliper up maybe replace the piston, and throw in a new seal.
Not the biggest fan of remanufactured parts.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Almost all new vehicles today the brake rotors are darn near at the minimum.
OP said his is a 2005. Not new.

They basically clean the caliper up maybe replace the piston, and throw in a new seal.
Not the biggest fan of remanufactured parts.
I wouldn't let you work on my car. You're like a woman. You talk a lot but don't listen.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
OP said his is a 2005. Not new.

I wouldn't let you work on my car. You're like a woman. You talk a lot but don't listen.
I have no desire to work on your car. Some shops won't even work on cars that are older than 10 years old.
I've been working on cars since I was 14 years old, no vehicle I have ever owned has had to go to a shop except for tire changes and alignments.

My little brother has a 2005 Ford Focus with almost 300,000 miles. I know the cars like the back of my hand. The OEM rotors were nothing special. The pads would eat up the rotors. Brake calipers original no problems.

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
I cut hundreds of rotors and warping is pretty much a myth. The pads embed material in the disc surface and the difference in friction is what makes people think they are warped.

There is really zero difference in newer or older discs other than the new ones if Chinese are made maybe .010" over reject thickness to make you buy new ones. The older names often still make discs that may be .200" thicker. Most are still cast iron which lasted forever with asbestos in pads but removing that required semi-metallic and they are just as hard as the discs to then wear at the same rate. Some ceramic pads can give long lasting discs like the older ones used to. Older rotors can actually brake worse due to heat curing, it forms cementite.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Nobody can tell you how long brakes will last on YOUR car. On mine, the front pads lasted around 80K. The rear pads lasted 120K+.

OP, you can't just rely on brake noises, but if you've worn them out in 15K miles, something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can tell you pad material matters...if you go cheap, like organic pads..then i will guarantee them not lasting as long as semi- metallic or ceramic.specially if you drive daily ,but the proper function of all other components is vital...rotors, slide pins,calipers,etc.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,308 Posts
I always replace the front rotors when the pads need replacement. I switched from semi metallic pads to ceramic 10 years ago on all of my cars. They are quiet and don't leave much dust. As zacautomotive stated, machining rotors is usually a waste of time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im
I always replace the front rotors when the pads need replacement. I switched from semi metallic pads to ceramic 10 years ago on all of my cars. They are quiet and don't leave much dust. As zacautomotive stated, machining rotors is usually a waste of time.
i put ceramic pads that’s what I have now

1 - 20 of 51 Posts