Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum but own a 3d Gen 2012 Hatchback. My question is how many miles can I expect the car to last before catastrophic repair costs? I have 85,000 miles so far. The only issue has been the factory notification of the dual clutches which I had replaced at a dealer for free. Now it runs very well.
Are there any mileage champions here? What is the max people have driven 3d Gens? I change oil every 10k miles as manual instructs. Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd cut that oil change mileage in 1/2.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe the oil change interval is 5k miles or 6 months whichever comes first....

A far as if & when your car is going to go kaputt I think partially the DCT issues might be blown out of porportion with all these complaints online, I can only tell you what I know... My wifes 2014 with 7700 miles needs a new clutch, my '14 Focus so far not a single issue. I've spoken with 4 other MKIII owners in the past month & 1 said her car on occasion has a shudder on take off, and the other 3 report no problems at all...

Tell us about your car. How long did it last before you had the clutch replaced? And during that time, was it running fine? And how long ago did you replace the clutch? Any other issues? Far as I'm concerned I ignore others complaints & only deal with what I've experienced with my car. It's a really nice little car, just a shame that there are so many complaints about the trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 85k miles on my 2012. Page 384 of owner's manual for 2012 says up to 10k miles for oil changes or as oil change message indicates. (The owner's manual has all kinds of fun facts. I recommend it. ;)) I have always used synthetic 15k mile oil and change every 10k before any indicator ever comes on. I do not live in a dusty environment, and do not drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. I have no issues with the engine. As far as the tranny goes, I got my factory notice about the dual clutch issues and then noticed that the car was increasing the "shuddering" problem on hard acceleration. It almost felt like a cv joint going bad. I took it to nearest dealer, and they replaced it for free. It now drives beautifully. My only complaint was that it took the dealer a few days to actually get to the car to fix it. But the car is very reliable, and I do not get the criticism I have seen on the internet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and I noticed my shuddering issues very recently around 82 or 83k miles or so. Car has been amazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts