Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my car for work (job pays for it). The car gets a lot of city miles. Stop and go traffic (I have a manual) and frequent stops.

I average probably 10 stops a day and a lot of city driving. That's not to say my car doesn't see a lot of highway miles, too. It gets a lot of use. I've had it since March and I have 8000 miles on it. I'm reimbursed mileage for work.

My fear is that in 2 or 3 years, I'm going to be dealing with an engine that burns tons of oil, has bad rotating assembly, electrical problems (doors from opening and closing a lot) and a bad clutch slave cylinder along with killing the synchros in the transmission.

Or am I just over cautious?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
depends on how you drive if you're aggresive like i am.....then well not that long but if your gently and take care of your car then it will last forever, change the oil frequently and on time rotate the tires and such....just a bunch of common sense stuff.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^ Ditto

These car are very tough and can go 100 to 200 thousand miles without any major issues. If you properly maintain your car, the only thing that will unavoidably wear out is the clutch but drive it gentle and that should last for a long time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I do drive my cars for business...
Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles...my 2004 Zetec auto wagon lasted to 183000 miles before a DWI totaled it.
My Ford Transit Connect says 7500 miles oil change... I STILL maintain 3000 miles interval

Your clutch will be the thing that will need replacing

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I use my car for work (job pays for it). The car gets a lot of city miles. Stop and go traffic (I have a manual) and frequent stops.

I average probably 10 stops a day and a lot of city driving. That's not to say my car doesn't see a lot of highway miles, too. It gets a lot of use. I've had it since March and I have 8000 miles on it. I'm reimbursed mileage for work.

My fear is that in 2 or 3 years, I'm going to be dealing with an engine that burns tons of oil, has bad rotating assembly, electrical problems (doors from opening and closing a lot) and a bad clutch slave cylinder along with killing the synchros in the transmission.

Or am I just over cautious?
Hi Miller88,

I understand, you just want to ensure your Focus runs in tip-top shape for as long as possible! [:)] As others have posted, a properly maintained vehicle lasts longer and runs more efficiently than one that isn’t maintained. Your dealership will have the proper maintenance schedule, and will be best able to diagnose any concerns. You can also find the maintenance schedule here.

I wish you a long & happy life with your Focus. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
659 Posts
my neighbor is retiring his 01 Wagon he got 265,000 miles.He thinks the fuel pump went out.It still looks good only issue is the fuel door broke off.He also had a 03 Windstar with over 360,000.He does deliveries and runs short and long distances

·
Registered
104 Posts
These things will last forever if you change your oil regularly, rotate your tires and change that timing belt at around 70,000 miles. Your's isn't an interference engine, but still it's a PITA when it goes. As far as your clutch is concerned, it's a wear item like your tires and brake pads. Find the thread on here about 100,000+ foci, this will calm your fears about the longevity of the foci.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Treat her right, and she'll take care of you forever. Not only can they run for a very long time without issues if you are taking care of your maintenance, but when something does go wrong, they aren't that hard or expensive to fix. Just make sure that you keep an eye for the little niggling things that go wrong on all Foci and nip them in the bud before you ruin your ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My '05 Focus now has 200,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch. I taught 2 of my daughters to drive a manual in this car as well. The miles are mixed, about half highway, half short run around trips. I change the oil every 10,000 miles (mobil 1) and it burns zero oil.

If they are reimbursing you for mileage, you will make enough to buy another Focus before you will ever wear yours out. Since you are in Syracuse- just make sure you wash it very often in winter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These things will last forever if you change your oil regularly, rotate your tires and change that timing belt at around 70,000 miles. Your's isn't an interference engine, but still it's a PITA when it goes. As far as your clutch is concerned, it's a wear item like your tires and brake pads. Find the thread on here about 100,000+ foci, this will calm your fears about the longevity of the foci.
99.999% of maintenance and repairs I can / will do myself. Timing belt, not so much. Or clutch. I'm not so much worried about slipping the clutch to death, but the fact that I'm pressing it constantly.

I'm worried about losing the bottom end. 10 or so cold starts a day, lots of city driving. I don't take off with the gas, so the RPMs drop to 500 or so. Can feel it lugging.

Treat her right, and she'll take care of you forever. Not only can they run for a very long time without issues if you are taking care of your maintenance, but when something does go wrong, they aren't that hard or expensive to fix. Just make sure that you keep an eye for the little niggling things that go wrong on all Foci and nip them in the bud before you ruin your ride.
I beat up on it by nature of my work. I am an easy driver. But stopping and starting and a lot of city combined with a lot of highway driving.

I use GOOD oil and GOOD filters; just picked up Castrol Edge 0w-20 (for when winter rolls around) and a good Bosch filter. The 0w-20 has to be better than the 5w20 synthetic blend for all of my starting and stopping.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Timing chain is good. It's not the lima that would break timing belts every month haha. Interference?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Interference?
Yes, typically chain driven engines are. You only need to start worrying about your timing chain around 150k or higher. Look for what's called "kickback" that's when you cut off the engine, it stops, then rotates backwards slightly.

I've known Nissans, most Nissans have timing chains, to go over 250k without needing a new timing chain. It all depends on how you drive it. Using the Nissan example, I doubt many 280Z's made it to 200k without a timing chain replacement, but a great number of trucks did make it there. At least those that were driven by little old men who only went out to get fuel and take the trash to the dump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Miller88,

I understand, you just want to ensure your Focus runs in tip-top shape for as long as possible! As others have posted, a properly maintained vehicle lasts longer and runs more efficiently than one that isn’t maintained. Your dealership will have the proper maintenance schedule, and will be best able to diagnose any concerns. You can also find the maintenance schedule here.

I wish you a long & happy life with your Focus.

~Natasha
Good one, but don't be fooled by these claims. Maintenance is over rated. Read my post in the sticky at the top, 100k mile cars. I fix nothing unless it is broken. I'm now over 306k miles and still getting 28-33mpg depending on the weather and using no oil between 5k mile intervals. I use whatever oil/filter the tuffy or other oil change place puts in it. For the guy who changes his oil at 3k and it calls for 7500, glad you think you know more about your engine then the engineers who designed it. Like wasting oil/throwing money away? Dont beat on these cars and they will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beating on it is what I do for work. I make 10 or 15 stops a day with it; its used like a delivery van or a taxi.

I'm sticking with 5000 mile oil changes. If it was all highway miles, I wouldn't mind going 7000. The engine size is 1/2 that of the engine in my Jeep yet it has almost the same oil capacity.

Not so much the engine worried about. I do a lot of shifting. I guess I'm over cautious.

This is the first and hopefully only brand new car I'll ever own. I want to keep it nice so when I do finally pay it off I will have something worth something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts