Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read that the turbine is not lubricated by the engine oil in the ST engine.
So how is it lubricated?
Or is my info all wrong.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
That is not correct, the turbocharger in the Focus ST and all the 2.0 L EcoBoost I4 engines is lubricated by oil and cooled via both oil and engine coolant.

Item Description
1 Oil pump screen and pickup tube
2 Oil pump
3 Turbocharger oil return tube
4 Turbocharger oil return tube gasket
5 Timing chain tensioner
6 Turbocharger oil filter
7 Cylinder block
8 Turbocharger oil supply tube
9 Turbocharger
10 Intake VCT phaser and sprocket
11 Exhaust VCT phaser and sprocket
12 Exhaust camshaft
13 Camshaft front bearing cap (part of 6049)
14 VCT oil control solenoid
15 VCT oil control solenoid
16 Camshaft rear bearing cap (part of 6049)
17 Fuel pump housing
18 Intake camshaft
19 Vacuum pump
20 Cylinder head
21 Head gasket
22 Crankcase vent oil separator
23 Oil filter adapter gasket
24 Oil cooler
25 EOP switch
26 Oil Filter Adapter
27 Oil filter
28 Crankshaft assembly
29 Balance shaft assembly
30 Oil pan

Lubrication System

The engine lubrication system is of the force-feed type in which oil is supplied under full pressure to the crankshaft, connecting rod bearings, timing chain tensioners, camshaft bearing caps and (id=373)VCT solenoids. The flow of oil to the valve tappets and valve train is controlled by a restricting orifice located in the cylinder head gasket.

The lubrication system is designed to provide optimum oil flow to critical components of the engine through its entire operating range.

The heart of the system is a positive displacement internal gear oil pump.

Generically, this design is known as a gerotor pump, which operates as follows:

The oil pump is chain driven off of the crankshaft.
System pressure is limited by an integral, internally-vented relief valve which directs the bypassed oil back to the inlet side of the oil pump.
Oil pump displacement has been selected to provide adequate volume to make sure of correct oil pressure both at hot idle and maximum speed.
The relief valve calibration protects the system from excessive pressure during high-viscosity conditions.
The relief valve is designed to provide adequate connecting rod bearing lubrication under high temperature and high-speed conditions.
Valve Train

The valve train uses Direct Acting Mechanical Buckets (DAMB). The camshaft lobes are positioned directly above mechanical buckets which are positioned on top of the valves.

Ti-VCT

TheTi-VCT system allows variable control of intake valve closing which optimizes combustion at full load providing improved power and low speed torque (broadening the torque curve) which enables variable valve overlap which provides better fuel economy and emissions and provides optimized cold start operation with improved exhaust emissions.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I just sort of remembered some comment and I was not sure.
So your post carifies things completely.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
That is not correct, the turbocharger in the Focus ST and all the 2.0 L EcoBoost I4 engines is lubricated by oil and cooled via both oil and engine coolant.
Do you know of any turbo (in an automobile) that isn't lubricated by the engine oil?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts