Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you supposed to change the city/marker lights on the 2014 headlights. I purchased two superbright leds for the marker/city lights (the outermost light on the headlight that flashes when you lock or unlock the car) and the socket for the bulb is beind the black plastic backing? There is barely enough room to get a pair of needlenose pliers in there, let alone, turn them. I highly doubt that you have to break the factory seal to replace these when they burn out? Anyone change these yet?[?|]

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
You can use needle-nose pliers or be very careful and use a flat-head screwdriver to unscrew it too

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can also reach it from the low beam opening. I used that to reach my fingers through and it made it much easier. no tools needed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can also reach it from the low beam opening. I used that to reach my fingers through and it made it much easier. no tools needed
Thats not going to work for me, i have short vienna sausage fingers![twothumbs]

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Are you supposed to change the city/marker lights on the 2014 headlights. I purchased two superbright leds for the marker/city lights (the outermost light on the headlight that flashes when you lock or unlock the car) and the socket for the bulb is beind the black plastic backing? There is barely enough room to get a pair of needlenose pliers in there, let alone, turn them. I highly doubt that you have to break the factory seal to replace these when they burn out? Anyone change these yet?[?|]
I used an open ended wrench. I forgot what size but one fits around the bulb holder perfectly and you just twist it and it pops out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently did this. It was a PITA to unscrew the bulb for me, I got enough leverage with needle nose pliers to twist it. If you shine a light in there you'll see an arrow that shows which way locks, make sure you twist the opposite. Once you get the bulb out and replace the LED before you put the bulb in plug in your headlight assembly to your car and make sure the light works as the LEDs are polarized. I'm glad I checked cause I had to flip one bulb.

The hardest part is getting the bulb back in. I didn't have too many issues getting it to line up in the socket but twisting it to lock was really really hard for me. I used the needle nose pliers again and managed to finally get enough leverage to twist it correctly. I tried using my fingers through the low beam housing and even the screw driver like in the thread above but it didn't work. Just take your time and drink a beer while you do it and it'll be just fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could not get needle nose to work for me at all. Just could get no grip to turn the tight seal all the way. I made a tool from a fork. If you break off a prong so you have 3 prongs with the one in the middle broken off it is almost the perfect size. i slide it down with the end cap between the tongs and twisted.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Small hands haha

No but really this is a pain to do, I had good luck with needle nose vise-grips (do not over clamp the plastic)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts