Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 Focus Wagon a year ago, and I immediately took it on a long trip. I noticed that there was no lumbar support, and my lower back cried out in pain for most of the trip.

Since a lumbar support pillow was more irritating than helpful, and rendered the heated seats less effective, I decided to try something. I managed to shove a piece of memory foam into the seat back, bolstered with a piece of cardboard. This makes a huge difference, and the seats are now quite comfortable, even on the longest trips.

The other irritant for me was simply the blandness and cheapness of the redesigned-for-2005 dashboard, and I still can't believe Ford went forward with this worst-in-class design. To mitigate this, I not only added an Android navigation system (purchased online for about 300 bucks), but I painted the dashboard bezel body color, using a cheap can of Dupli-Color touch-up paint. I now find the car a much nicer place to spend time in.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah, the 05-07 Foci are basically the red headed step children of the US Focus line lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's pretty bold, especially vs. the blandness. It would probably look better with a more muted color (which still matched the exterior) like that nice green some Focuses came with. I considered just using a silver paint.

My 10-year-old son says the navigation system doesn't look like it belongs in that dash.

·
So mote be it
8,804 Posts
Yeah Ford was infamously cheap with the interior on these focus. Looks like yours at least has a leather steering wheel already. The one that came on mine was super hard/cheap feeling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford couldn't even be bothered to match the grain pattern of the airbag cover and the gearshift console to the dashboard with that redesign. They even made the sun visors cheaper, replacing the fabric ones with cheap plastic, not even bothering to deal with the jagged plastic edges.

Fortunately, the car is wonderful to drive. I actually prefer driving it over my wife's 2006 Accord.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I’ll take bland and symmetrical over the swooping offset design of the earlier MK1’s dash.

My wagon was tan on tan and the radio bezel was silver; bought a black one on line and loved it. My new ZX5 is triple black and came with a silver bezel...I swapped the black one over before the wagon went to the scrap yard. Single DIN with USB and Bluetooth and radio is covered. I am beginning to hate my seat tho...

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
I can understand why someone wouldn't like the look of the Mk1 interior design but at least it showed some creativity, and the quality and touch of materials were sooo much better than the Mk 1.5. That 2007 dash looks like it belongs in a 90's Tercel.

Nice upgrades PeterPuck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts