Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2004 Ford Focus Mk1 with Duratec 2.3 PZEV engine. A couple of weeks ago the engine check light came on and when I connected it to an ODB2 reader it generated 2 P02004 errors. I googled and found information indicating that I should check for broken, loose, or cracked hoses, as well as damaged wiring that related to MIRC solenoids. I did all that verification and decided to change the MIRC solenoids.

After changing the parts one of the error codes disappeared, but it still shows error p02004 on bank 1.

How can I check the actuator? how do I know it's working properly?

Bicycle part Tool Auto part Engineering Rim

Outside of the vacuum hoses that connect to MIRC solenoids and actuators, are there other hoses or points I should check?

The car works, worse at idle it shakes a lot and sometimes comes to a stop. The odb2 scanner does not report any other error codes.

Can someone give me an idea of how to test the MIRC actuator? Or some other idea of how to correct the error?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
On that engine there are two actuators on that manifold - IMRC and IMTV - each with its own actuating solenoid. Have you only replaced the solenoids or the actuators as well?

The part you pictured is the IMRC actuator. It should be actuated (supplied vacuum) at engine speeds below ~2500 RPM. Is it? If not have you verified that you can manually move its actuating lever and move the runner flap inside the manifold?

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul
I have not replaced the actuator, I only replaced the two solenoids.

I removed the manifold and when I move the actuator lever the flaps move without any problem. The spring inside the actuator offers resistance when depressed and the lever returns smoothly to its position.

Could it be an electronic problem in the actuator? Is it possible to check if there is such a problem? If possible, how can I perform an electronic test on the actuator?

It is not easy to get parts for the Focus Mk1 in my country, so I have to order them from a store in the United States. I want to be sure that the actuator is the one causing the fault code, because I don't want to buy a new one and have the fault persist.

Thank you

Aldo,
(Sorry if I write something wrong, I speak little English.)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Aldo,
Your English is fine!

Have you re-installed the IM and is the IMRC actuated at idle?

Before I purchased a new actuator I would test the exiting one by seeing that it moves when vacuum is applied. You can use a simple hand actuated vacuum pump or even just draw a vacuum on it thru a hose with your mouth. You want to verify that the actuator moves and remains actuated until the vacuum is released. You also should test to see that the actuator is getting vacuum thru the solenoid using either a vacuum gauge or simply putting your finger over the supply vacuum hose. The IMRC actuator has an internal module that sends a signal back to the PCM indicating its position via the 3 wire connector on it. This module operates on a 5V reference supplied by the PCM and can be checked with a DVOM.

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Paul. I will carry out the tests that you recommend and I will tell you how it goes with them. I will have to buy a pressure gauge to do it, but it is easy to get it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thank you very much Paul. I will carry out the tests that you recommend and I will tell you how it goes with them. I will have to buy a pressure gauge to do it, but it is easy to get it.
You can do the tests without buying any equipment.

Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Paul,

I did several tests and I tell you the results to see if you can give me an idea of where the fault occurs.

Camera accessory Line Cameras & optics Auto part Optical instrument

Tests on the MIRC solenoid

1. I disconnected the hose from nozzle 1 of the solenoid and there is pressure coming out of the hose coming from the manifold.
  2. I reconnected the hose to nozzle 1 and removed the hose from nozzle 2. There is no pressure coming out of nozzle 2 at any time.
  3. I blew through the hose I removed from nozzle 2 and the MIRC actuator lever lowered to its lowest position. As long as I kept the pressure on, the lever remained in the lowest position. When I stopped blowing through the hose the lever returned to the top position. (Is this situation normal? Is it possible that the solenoid is not receiving an electrical signal through the connector and that is why there is no pressure? If the answer to my previous question is yes, how can I test the connector that carries the signal? electricity to the solenoid?)

Tests on the IMTV solenoid

I did the same tests as with the MIRC solenoid

1. I disconnected the hose from nozzle 1 of the solenoid and there is pressure coming out of the hose coming from the manifold.
  2. I reconnected the hose to nozzle 1 and removed the hose from nozzle 2. There is pressure coming out of nozzle 2.
  3. I blew through the hose I removed from nozzle 2 and the IMTV actuator lever lowered to its lowest position. As long as I kept the pressure on, the lever remained in the lowest position. When I stopped blowing through the hose the lever returned to the top position. (Is this situation normal?)
Thanks for your help

Aldo

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Aldo,
Its IMRC not MIRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control).
There should not be 'pressure' (blowing out) there should be 'vacuum' (sucking in) - maybe a language/translation thing??? If this is the case then the operation as you describe is correct.

You can test for a signal from the PCM to the solenoid using a low current 12V 'noid' light (LED) at the harness side of the solenoid connector. My understanding is that if there is a failure of the position sensor module in the IMRC actuator or its circuit to the PCM then the PCM will not send any signal to the solenoid.

You can also test the solenoid by connecting it directly to 12V. If you test it with the engine running and the solenoid is getting vacuum from the manifold then the IMRC actuator should move.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. You can test mIRC by double-clicking on the mIRC icon on your desktop or in your Windows Start menu. You should then see the Connect window below which you can use to connect to IRC. You will need to enter something for your Full Name and Email Address. These do not have to be your real full name and email address.

krunker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts