Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to know how fast will a stock svtf go. Does it cut out at a hundred or does it keep on going? There really isnt any places around here for me to go and find out legaly. I don't want to loose my licese and have to pay higher insurance tring to find out on the road. Thanks

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It goes to 130-something. Can't remember exactly? 135? 137? Somewhere in that range. I've tested that (illegally) and have gotten over 130 for sure, but exactly how far I dunno, I was too busy watching the road in front of me!! [ohcrap]

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
haha cuts out a 100 ... yep... cant go 101 ...
take it on a large freeway LATE at night and you can test her out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
na, it can do nearly 145. I myself have gone about 143

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I just checked, and according to Road & Track, the SVT tops out at 134. That's a theoretical finding, however, since they use a formula to calculate an estimated top speed. Bryanjw82, 143, huh? Speedometer calibration (and variances therein) may have something to do with that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I have seen 130 before I let off of it but I still have more to go so I am sure it will go past 134 and as far as the meatball that said 100 not over 101 you need to read what was Ask since you only have a 00 ZX3 our cars have things done to them[eek]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Same as SVT4ME I read on the R&T or C&D website, I can't remember which that the theoretical top speed is around 135.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I dont know about all that but i know i did to 143 according to my gauge. Also if it makes any difference my tire pressure was were it was suppose to be at 32/29 since i check them regularly. And i know ive read somewhere on one of these forums that some cars come factory with a little more power output than maybe the next car inline because they vary?

·
Registered
76 Posts
well that was as fast as i wanted to go with the 2 other guys that I had in the car I might have pushed it harder but still not wanting to run it too hard

just hope that a gage never comes on at that speed beacuse if it does the dealership can go back to when it came on and see the speed and the tach reading when it did they tried to pull that on me with a Explorer that I just drove off the lot new in 00 and the gage came on they brought it up I was doing 74 mph when it came on like it was a big deal i was over all speed limits

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, if you were actually at a high performance driving event, perhaps even for the purpose of obtaining a discount on insurance*, and you had the car to 120 or so on a straight and something in the engine blew while under warranty and within its operational limits, a dealership and particularly SVT, would be hard-pressed to say it was your fault and not the car's.

I'm sorry, but 74 mph is the AVERAGE speed at the track, probably. I'd be curious to see if there is anything in the warranty that states you must obey the legal speed limit at all times else voiding your warranty. And even if that clause existed, the legal speed limit does not apply to all driving situations as mentioned above--so there would be a loophole if necessary.

Now RACING (sanctioned or otherwise) might be a different story... there might actually be a clause in the warranty that covers that. Obviously, wheel to wheel club racing is just that--racing. Then there are arguments about whether autocrossing is "racing" or not. It's certainly a timed event, but the only thing your are explicitly racing against, is the clock.

Oh the field day lawyers could have arguing this.

Sincerely,

Beetle

* Organization such as Car Guys provide instruction at their HPDEs, and in some cases, you can get a discount on your insurance from your carrier upon completion of an HPDE, if it is billed as a "driver education course". I'm CERTAIN that is the main reason people attend HPDEs... ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought that I read in some test information that it'd top is 129MPH but if you guys are getting into the 130-140's cool.... I've only hit 115 as the roads in Alaska suck for speed....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Speedo's are exagerated, I think it's mandatory that they be exagerated, but within a certain limit. All car's are exagerated, I guess so you won't go as fast as you think you are going.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When you do the little trick with holding the odo. button and starting the car, it'll digitally display your actual speed. I know on mine it gets more exaggerated as the speed increases, but that's on an '02 normal old zetec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's engine power limit with AEM CAI and FC UDP at sea level is 148 mph. I kept that speed steady for ten minutes at permanent WOT (I'm not stupid, that sea shore highway was ideal to do that). Not one mph more. But the gearbox can give you minimun 30 mph more (need boost there), since it was running aprox at 5K rpm.

Watch out. After that the oil temp got dangerously hot. (not nice, but absolute truth)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've gotten mine up to 135 on the interstate...I could have pushed it more but I backed off. I heard a governor kicks in at 140 or so...Though I could be wrong.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Is there even a governor on the svt?

·
Registered
21 Posts
bryanjw82 said:
Is there even a governor on the svt?
al 147mph, NO governor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine topped out at 144 last weekend. I dont know if when it has more miles it might be a little faster but I doubt it. It had 455 miles when I did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts