Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the rev limiter hits around 7,000, but how far do you push your shifts when you race?I have a aem cold air intake and full exaust. I shift around 6,000. Is that to early or to late? [???:)]

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I shift around 6,200 or so cuz it feels like it drops off a little after that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you have done to your ride?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I herd that the easier it is for your engine to breath the higher your peak hp is.But i don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
im afraid to push mine. I pushed my stang too far (it was only a v6) and i blew the motor...hahh yea...so i got a zx3 and im afraid to really push it, i've pushed 6500...but im afraid to do anymore, on a daily basis i shift at 4000-5000.

And yes the easier it is to breathe...the more air the engine can flow through it the more hp you will make...more air = more power

·
Registered
58 Posts
Everyone i have talked to has told me that u can beat the hell out of a zetec and it takes it like a man... lol

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
really? heh im still afraid of it though, i still owe money on my mustang and i didn't pay it off with the trade in, i paid it on the zx3. So im paying for 2 cars, one i dont' even have anymore. So im still afraid to beat it too much but if i can build up the motor, beef up the bottom end and valvetrain...most definately give it a beating [headbang] haha just too much money[:(]

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i shift at like 3.500 or 4000 just cruising gunning it 6,200

·
Registered
171 Posts
i shift at 3k during daily driving, and at 5500 when i'm running it out so that way i'm above peak hp and tq and ready to go for it again in the next gear [:D]

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
somewhere between 5500-6000...if u go 2 high, u lose all ur power-and is useless unless u've got some mods 2 pick up top end power

·
Registered
697 Posts
shift at 6rpm i think, i dont go by the tach much i go by the feel of the car.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
3,000 - 3,500 all the time...6200-6400 at the drag strip, and when necessary. But the car has a good rev limiter to keep you from hurting anything, don't sweat revving the engine, I wouldn't do it all the time, but occasionally will be fine, change the fluids and it will stay together!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea, I've hit my rev limiter (only once) but I usually shift at around 6500 if I'm opening up a can of whoopass ;)

Otherwise it's between 4k and 5k.

I hear the zetecs take this kind of stuff easily, but like most engines you shouldn't rev them to high when they're cold.

Anyway, I figure if I'm causing any damage to something it probably won't matter, cause I'm planning a turbo conversion in the next few months, and then I'll have to get forged pistons and new piston rods anyway, so if anything else in the engine needs work I'll find out about it then :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
i shift at around 4900 when racing ...maybe a little higher !!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
SceviourZX3 said:
shift at 6rpm i think, i dont go by the tach much i go by the feel of the car.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the same thing.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Peak HP occurs at 5300 RPM. The HP drops off pretty quickly after this. Shifting at 6000 RPM or more as suggested puts you way out of the optimum power band. It may feel OK but there's actually less HP available!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Geezer said:
Peak HP occurs at 5300 RPM. The HP drops off pretty quickly after this. Shifting at 6000 RPM or more as suggested puts you way out of the optimum power band. It may feel OK but there's actually less HP available!

well put geezer!!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
ses said:
Yea, I've hit my rev limiter (only once) but I usually shift at around 6500 if I'm opening up a can of whoopass ;)

Otherwise it's between 4k and 5k.

I hear the zetecs take this kind of stuff easily, but like most engines you shouldn't rev them to high when they're cold.

Anyway, I figure if I'm causing any damage to something it probably won't matter, cause I'm planning a turbo conversion in the next few months, and then I'll have to get forged pistons and new piston rods anyway, so if anything else in the engine needs work I'll find out about it then :)
4-5 grand you gotta be kindin for daily driving lmfao[thumb] i would hate to roll with you if i had to piss. ; )

1 - 20 of 40 Posts