Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can I take my car before tuning? I've decided all I want to do is replace parts that already exist, not add anything. If the car didn't come from the factory with it, then it isn't going on. That means I will be leaving the rear drums on and not adding any strut braces, etc. How many modifications can I do in this manner? I'm planning on springs and dampers, sway bar, COPs, engine mount, and some appearance things. Anyone know of any other modifications? I would not doubt that are modifications unknown to me. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I'm thinking as long as you don't do anything to the engine your not gonna need it tuned . Once you do something like header, intake and exhaust you'll end up needing it tuned. Not in that order but when or if you decide to go that route .

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
i would suggest a tune with even a cai. i know alot of people dont and ill probably get bashed on this thread momentarily for it but o well. when i installed my fswerks cool flo intake i had a drop in gas mileage for a few weeks even after resetting my ecu by disconnecting the battery cable. sure there was a tiny gain but you cant really take advntage of any sort of mod even something that is already there such as an intake without a tune due to the fact that the whole point of the mod is to improve performance in some way or another and the cars computer is stock tuned for that stock part to opertate at its best therfore by adding a mod its not set for the best output of that mod. Save up some cash and get you a tune from randy at fswerks and he will take good care of you as he has me. i can definately say that the tune was the best thing ive ever done to my car.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Considering your not doing anything to the motor with what you described than you won't need a tune at all... A tune adjusts air/fuel for the motor and timing and done other things

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You can do an intake and a cat back exhaust. If you get the header you WILL need a tune. But I suggest getting a tune, it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do an intake and a cat back exhaust. If you get the header you WILL need a tune. But I suggest getting a tune, it will be money well spent.
I already have an intake and exhaust. I wanted to get a header, but I realized I would need the tune.

If I were to buy a tuner, then I sold my car, would I be able to sell my tuner to someone else? I have always been confused about the licenses for each car and the theft deterrent features that are built into the units. That is another reason I did not want to tune because of resale.

Maybe I will just do a programmer, no other serious modifications.

If I did get one, does it ask what modifications I already have? I know some tuners ask if you have an intake and what brand, etc.

Side question: I was curious about the Cosworth camshafts on FSWerks website, the ones that can still use the stock valvetrain. How much power can be gained from those, with an appropriate tune?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
As far as I know the cams will not work on the '08+ car because of a different style cam sensor pickup. The '08+ cars have 6 pickups and the older cars have only 1!
I didn't think i was going to get a tune on my car but Im glad I did, It made the intake and exhaust much better, overall the car drives great.

·
Registered
666 Posts
what about tunning a stock foci for higher octane.. anything positive about that?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think a tune is the best thing that can be done. your car has a factory tune so its not like you are adding anything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know the cams will not work on the '08+ car because of a different style cam sensor pickup. The '08+ cars have 6 pickups and the older cars have only 1!
I didn't think i was going to get a tune on my car but Im glad I did, It made the intake and exhaust much better, overall the car drives great.
Thanks for clearing that up. I might just do the basic handheld tuner.

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
If I were to buy a tuner, then I sold my car, would I be able to sell my tuner to someone else? I have always been confused about the licenses for each car and the theft deterrent features that are built into the units. That is another reason I did not want to tune because of resale.
I believe nobody answer this yet, As far as selling the hand held tuner to another foci owner, they must have the same ECU 4 digit number in order to use your tuner. If they dont have it, they'll need to have the tuner reflash to their ECU number.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe nobody answer this yet, As far as selling the hand held tuner to another foci owner, they must have the same ECU 4 digit number in order to use your tuner. If they dont have it, they'll need to have the tuner reflash to their ECU number.
Is this something people do a lot or do people tend to shy away from it? I don't want to be stuck with a piece of expensive plastic, even though by that time it will probably be obsolete.

Sent from my DROID X2

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I sell the SCT XCAL3 flasher and I feel the best tune , With tuning through me you get FREE tune updates as you add more mods vs paying extra for each update, Get services no other tuner offers anywhere

I sell the xcal3 for 399.00 and 20.00 for shipping you will be able to sell the flasher to almost anyone with a Ford Product once you restore the origional tune

A tune helps even on a bone stock car , people think a tune is only for modded cars and it isnt , On ATX cars you can change the shift psi and shift points , idle , fuel , timing , and over 200 other changes

Tunes help idle , cruise , driveability and performance even on a stock car , In my opinion its the first things that should be added and with FREE tune updates you wont have to wait to add 2-3 mods to get updates and pay extra for them like most do with my competition

Please let me know if I can help

Tom

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I will be tuning come October 1 (getting paid twice per month sucks).

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Good choice, a tune can do nothing but good things for you and your car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
91 octane tune

Looks like I will be tuning come October 1 (getting paid twice per month sucks).

Sent from my DROID X2
You will find your motor to run better & has more throttle resposce, & more mpg, if you don't gas it a lot. Get a 91 octane tune.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will find your motor to run better & has more throttle resposce, & more mpg, if you don't gas it a lot. Get a 91 octane tune.
I will be getting a 93 Octane tune because I only use BP fuel. My average fuel economy is 36 mpg, only because I work in a metro area. The only "gassing" I do is passing the idiot drivers and the usual stop and go traffic.

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
46 Posts
TurboTom do you have experience tuning dbw cars? I was under the impression that most of your experience was with the zetecs, correct me if I'm wrong. I like the idea of not having to pay for upgrades after I get the car tuned once, and lately I have been hearing a lot about how reliable your tunes are and from reading here on the forums you sure do help a lot of people out.

Thanks,

Jon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts