Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do people drive after their low fuel light trips? I have been driving to Toronto lately and I'm trying to figure out if I can do it without buying gas in Canada ($4.00 a gallon!).

It's 450 miles round trip. Last time the low fuel light turned on at 410. I chickened out and stiopped for few litres of petrol before I got to the border.

Now for some math. I got 38 MPG on that trip. 38 MPG X 14 gallons in a tank = 532 Miles. So by that calculation I had plenty left and could have finished without getting gas.

But are there really 14 gallons of USABLE fuel in there? Or is some of it at the very bottom of the tank where the sender can't get it? This is what the manual says, but it doesn't give a clear answer:

"The advertised fuel capacity of the fuel tank on your vehicle is equal to
the rated refill capacity of the fuel tank as listed in the Refill capacities
section of this chapter.

The advertised capacity is the amount of the indicated capacity and the
empty reserve combined. Indicated capacity is the difference in the
amount of fuel in a full tank and a tank when the fuel gauge indicates
empty. Empty reserve is the small amount of fuel remaining in the fuel
tank after the fuel gauge indicates empty.

The amount of usable fuel in the empty reserve varies and should
not be relied upon to increase driving range. When refueling your
vehicle after the fuel gauge indicates empty, you might not be
able to refuel the full amount of the advertised capacity of the
fuel tank due to the empty reserve still present in the tank."

How far have you gone with that light on?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
why? you are just going to kill your fuel pump. i start thinking about a fill up at 1/2 a tank.

the light has never come on in my car, actually the guage has never been below 1/4 full

·
Registered
359 Posts
You just spent more time writing this then me filling up 2 focus with 11gal's each.

·
Registered
359 Posts
LOL, after re-reading... why not fill up before you cross the boarder.. Its just that simple.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
How far after low fuel light? There is usually a few gallons left after the light comes on. I used to follow this premise faithfully in my last car. Only filled up when the light came on. Usually had 2 gallons left, hell, I can make it 50 more miles. One day 50 miles was not allowed to me. My car sputtered and died after 15 miles. Luckily near my fathers house. What the hell could have happened? Ended up burning my fuel pump out. Found out the hard way. $250 dollars for the fuel pump turned out to be the most expensive fill up I've ever purchased. According to the fellow at NAPA, fuel cools the fuel pump.

Sometimes it's better to spend a few dollars up front than to find out the hard way.
Petehouk, according to your calculations I would be surpised if you had 3 gallons left in your tank after the light came on. Best bet would be to fill up before crossing over and avoid having the fuel light come on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Even tho you shouldn't be driving too much longer after your fuel light comes on........if you want an honest answer i've consistently driven around 30 miles after my light comes on.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've driven 55 miles at constant speed after the light came on, but I think the '03 tank is only 13 gallons. That was also running pretty lean.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Funny you should ask this. My low fuel light came on last night. I have a gas station nearby, so I waited to fill the car up this morning. I figure I only had about 2 - 3 gallons left in the tank when that light came on. It took 11.001 gallons to fill the tank this morning. Book says it holds 14 gallons.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
this has been discussed before. i know for my if the light comes on i still have around 4 gallons left in the tank. but i usually fill up after i get down to a half a tank. if i was to take my mpg and use it to calculate how far i could go after the fuel light, i could go 100 miles in the city and another 120-130 miles on the freeway.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah I usually fill up after my light comes on. My light comes on after 10 gallons have been used and I usually put 11 or 12 gallons in.
So I would guess I have a few gallons left when I fill up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How about this, light comes on, put gas in the car. Novel idea. Most people on here will say after they see the light the car will take anywhere from 10.5-12 gallons. I've let mine get almost to the E on the dial and driven at most 15 miles on the light. I mean, is it really going to hit you hard to have to fill up a gallon sooner to avoid Fuel Pump failure? If you're REALLY worried, buy a spare can, put it in the trunk with a backup supply then and drive till it dies. Cost you time, a fuel pump, maybe a cat, etc etc. There really is a reason that light comes on and it's not to look pretty in the dash.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who responded and shared helpful information about their real-world experiences. Is there anyone else out there who has pushed the limit on a single tank of gas?

BRYFSVT, your replies are just so silly that you must have misunderstood my post.

bryfsvt said:
LOL, after re-reading... why not fill up before you cross the boarder.. Its just that simple.
?????

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well your first question is.. Trying not to fill up in cananda*$4.00*... so I simply put .....stop before the board and get ur tank filled.

oh and secound why do we need to talk about this subject..

just keep ur tank full so we dont have to discuss this not so needed topic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
When the light turns on I look for the next station.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bryfsvt said:
Well your first question is.. Trying not to fill up in cananda*$4.00*... so I simply put .....stop before the board and get ur tank filled.

oh and secound why do we need to talk about this subject..

just keep ur tank full so we dont have to discuss this not so needed topic.

Thanks.
Thanks for the great tip! I fill up at the Duty free at the border on the way into Canada. If I was trying to get through Canada without buying gas, OF COURSE THE FIRST THING I WOULD TRY IS BUYING GAS AT THE BORDER.

Good news for you: if you think that this topic is unnecessary, you don't have to discuss it. Go find another thread to trash.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
i drive till the light comes on and then the most was about 30 miles and i got to a station,,ive never been able to get more then 12 gallons in my car so im guessing its only 12 gallon tank...when i was able to get 12 in it i was filling up the neck on the tank,,,i mean it was comming out the top,,,lol,,,,480 miles? man what kinda focus is that,,,i get 320 miles to a tank in my 2005 ford focus ZX4

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've probably gone 40 miles on the light and then when i go to fill it up it was only 12.5 gallons. So i kno that if the light goes on i can still go an extra 60 miles if i can to. I see the light as almost a reminder that you are getting low on fuel, not a you better fill up right away! I mean that why the light goes on when we have 3 gallons left. 3 Gallons x 25 mpg = 75 more miles :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Basedan10 said:
I've probably gone 40 miles on the light and then when i go to fill it up it was only 12.5 gallons. So i kno that if the light goes on i can still go an extra 60 miles if i can to. I see the light as almost a reminder that you are getting low on fuel, not a you better fill up right away! I mean that why the light goes on when we have 3 gallons left. 3 Gallons x 25 mpg = 75 more miles :)
Provided you had a FULL tank and not almost full. Also requires that you KNOW you're getting that kind of mileage on that tank. How about this, don't be such a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g cheap ass and buy the Canadian gas. It's probably better anyways, eh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts