Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just came home from a drive. turned on to a street accelerated from 1st... shift in to 2nd. getting ready for 3rd gear shift. ~clutch, shift GRIIIND~ . good lord it was loud & embarassing lol. wasnt a WOT/redline shift either. just up to about almost 4k. after that i just did some downshifting into 3rd and some 3/4 throttle shifting up to 5k... just to see if everything was copastetic ....which it was thankfully. but man that was embrassing lol... makes me think if the people standing for the bus-stop were like WTF was that?? ...just wanted to tell that small story though... =)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That happens to me a couple times a week. I think it has to do with the hydraulic clutch or the trans. I am a good shifter and it will still grind on me occasionally.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
did that a few times in the 00 ZTS when i first started to drive it.

never did it on my 04. only issue it has is when cold going into 2nd the stick kinda kicks a bit (stick feels like it vibrates, weird but only does it on my first shift to 2nd after that its fine)

what was embarrassing was when my shifter cable snapped and i'm trying to get going in 3rd.... with a aluminum flywheel and a puck clutch... that was fun.

since your cars pretty new if it does it often get it fixed ASAP, as under warranty = free

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Your foot is coming off the clutch pedal before the shift is completed. IMO.
I have learned from my 1999 with MTX75 tranny every shift has to be full and deliberate. It can be fast, but it cannot be sloppy! The shifter is actually not forgiving. It is precise, smooth, but mistakes just make noise. [cheers]

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I do that once in a while but it's mostly my lack of talent. It's usually between 2nd and 3rd because I let the clutch out to early if I'm trying to shift to fast.

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
It happens to everyone from time to time. I have been driving Manual trans for 35k miles on this car and about 5k on a Ford Ranger and I STILL grind the gears from time to time. I feel the same way but it does happen.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah, operator error. And if I said I never did it myself, I'd be lying. Like Elizabeth said, you can be fast, but you have to be deliberate. I got sloppy and didn't make the shift ALL the way into a gear once or twice and it complained. It happens. Just don't make it a habit!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
wow haha now im a little less embarrassed and confused, happend first time ever like a week ago going from 2nd to 3rd apparently to fast

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
haha.............I dont like to admit it but it happens to all of us, only when grabbing 2nd though.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Can honestly say I never did that in my MS3. I did however once shoot for 5th at WOT and hit 3rd instead. That was loud...and scary. I can laugh about it now though...lol.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
probably is then, no drag racing for you!

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
lol funny thing, i usually grind when i pay attention to my shifting. odd

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i just noticed something odd on mine. w/ engine cold & off, shifting from 1st to 4th... i have no 4th o_O. that or it sometimes needs to be pushed a little harder into 4th to engage it. nothing serious since i never really shift from 1st to 4th... and thank God Ford didnt add skip-shift to the manual tranny Focus'

EDIT: well i did it again today.. engine off and cold. now i have 4th again from 1st to 4th o_O. i think what my problem was i was hiting the shifter gate... or like missing 4th if i were driving it. quite odd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts