Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now i don't really want to know how easy auto crossing is. it is racing so i know it is not for everyone. i am wondering how easy it is to get involved. i got to looking for events where i live and it looks like scca is the easyest and biggest this in town. i guess you can say that i am a little nervous to do something like this because i don't want to get out there and slow everyone down. the only racing i have done is at the 1/8th mile near where i live. that is a lot of fun but it is not what my car is best at. autocross is. if i could get alittle help with things i may need before i start getting into it. like safety stuff and convenience stuff it would help alot and raise my confidence a little. thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well autox is one car at a time on the track, i belive so its not like your going to hold up everyone. and it is the easiest racing to get into and it is designed for newb's and rooks. just give it a try and see what you think, remember everyone out there had their frist day at the track too.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
remember everyone out there had their frist day at the track too.
yeah, that pretty much covers it. everyone else remembers. Unless for some reason you have a couple crackjobs on a power trip running your local events. 99.9% of AX people i have met are "the coolest people in the world" as they say. so dont worry about it, its not like hell's angels or anything like that.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Both of the SCCA regions that I autocross with have specific course walks for novices, provide pro's to ride along with novices during competition, and even can pair you up with a more experienced worker for a work assignment.

In my opinion, its very easy to jump in as a novice, and compete your first time. As a novice I'd recommend making sure you walk the course a couple times and/or have a pro or instructor ride along during your first run.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I walked the course SEVEN times my first time out. It may seem like a lot but it was worth it. a few other novices only walked once or twice and got lost a few times. I never went off course, but on my first two runs had trouble with the gates entering one turn at the end of the course. So even with seven course walks, I could have used another one or two.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow thanks man. that is a great read and very insightful. thanks everyone this make me alot more confident to get out there. now i have a question. should i just wait till the start of next years or get into it now? is there alot i will be able to do this year or no? thanks again.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I started on november 17th last year, definitely do not regret it one bit!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow really.cool thanks man that helps.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another quick question. i keep reading about the points racing and the events in autocross where i live. if i was to go to one of these and not be part of the season or event. how does that work. will i mess things up for the points races or how does that work? any help is very apreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
no they do a really good job of points keeping and things like that. you'll find a lot of the guys will offer advice and tips so keep them in the back of your head. another good thing is to find out what the local veterans are running in the class your aiming for.they have worked out whats best for thier class and have some sick times. however they also have years and a lot of cash and track time invested. (its best to go totally stock and slowly add things to help you perform, nothing beats the driver mod though) look up to them and respect everone and you'll get it back.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man. ya listening is one of the best tips i have gotten so far. it is what everything i have read is telling me to do. listen and get to it. now i can't wait to get out there and have some fun.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Also, keep an eye on your local club schedules starting early next year. Alot of clubs will do a novice school early in the season. This is always a good thing to do, lots of seat time will get you comfortable in the car, and the experience with other novices will let you have a good fell for how events are run.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
"Everyone has their first day at the track...."

Well put. Even the crusty hot shoes had to start some where.

The best piece of advice I can give is to HAVE FUN.

You are doing this for the first time. You are not going to disrupt a points race by giving it a go mid-season.

In fact, SOME drivers will be more inclined to help you because if you end up beating one of their competitors, its good for them!

If you are worried about how you will look or perform against the other drivers, put that out of your head NOW. They all know you are new. So, unless you are Aryton Senna reincarnated, they will not feel threatened or annoyed at your learning pace.

Forget the car. You don't need this or you don't need that. All you REALLY need for your first event is a tire gauge and a learning attitude. Adjust your tire pressure to 10 PSI over stock, borrow a helmet and drive.

Take an instructor EVERY time. In the novice classes, instructors are allowed for every run.

At the end of the day, ALWAYS return your tires to stock pressures and take your time going home.

Autocross (IMHO) is the most constructive and SAFEST form of motorsports available. Minimal impact to the car, stiff competition, learning and changing driving habits and having them become second nature on the street.

The only person at the event that you need to worry about beating is YOU. Every run where you shave time is a victory. It means you learned something - either about yourself or the car.

The most important piece of gear at an AX event is YOU, the driver.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Solo is the best and easiest and cheapest (all things considered) way to race- Show up, Sign up, Hell- tell them your a newbie & they will most likely walk you through it.

Don't worry about holding people up, looking foolish, or anything else. Solo does have it's hardcore competitors, but 99% of the folks you meet there will be more then willing to help you out with anything at all, especially getting you out of the way if you are holding people up. As long as you treat others there with respect, you to will be treated with respect no matter what you skill level is.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys. i have talked to the folks in my region and there is an event next month that i am going to be going to. it is the last for the year but i don't mind. i really want to start. it looks like lots of fun and it would be a pretty cool skill to have. thanks for all of the encoragement. we'll see how it goes in a month. haha. thanks.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Try to get an instructor to drive your car (with you in it, of course), the sooner the better. That way, you'll see what this is supposed to feel like and sound like. You'll be astonished to see what your car can actually do, and you'll have a better idea what you're trying to do. I don't know if it's the same everwhere, but around these parts, an instructor run won't count- ie you'll still get to drive the full number of runs. This was a huge help to me- more than almost anything else.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
i wish we had autox here... i think im learning how to do it in arizona and opening a track in here hahaha lmao

1 - 19 of 19 Posts