Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about 11 months, my focus will be going forced induction. But before i void warranties, i wanted to know how durable is the engine and the rest of the vehicle. I know some of you went FI and i just wanted to see how the vehicle overall, not justhe turbo or supercharging system, has held up over the years. I have seen all of the posts about focus reliability, but just wanted to see if voiding warranties would be smart on a car that has a decent overall track record

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
This is really the wrong forum to discuss this. Tech Chat is more for existing problems with vehicles, but I can understand how you'd think this was the right forum to post this in. I'm going to change the name and move it to the FI forum where you'll get a better answer about problems with FI engines.

IMO: If you're going FI, you shouldn't expect any engine out there to be very durable. You're crossing over to the other side basically- forget fuel economy, and forget durability. You can also forget about some of the cars that used to pass you-LOL.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm curious about this also. Why would you bolt on a turbo, to an engine not designed for it, when you could have just bought a turbo-car to begin with?

What you'll end up with is a setup without a warranty, that is quite likely to fail at great expense.....as opposed to buying a car with a stock turbo, with a factory warranty, that is quite likely to be more reliable?

I'll answer my own question.....is it because you like the looks of the Focus?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluefront
1st, there are plenty of focii that have a bolt on turbo system, i know there are at least 2 on this forum because they responded to a FI post i made earlier/ last year. why wait until i post to ask why would anyone want to do this, have you asked those guys??????
2nd, everything out there that has a turbo does not impress me. the old and new wrx fails to impress me on non-snow covered roads and it looks like a corolla with a hood scoop (thanks toyota), not really a fan of the mazdaspeed3... its lacking something but im not sure what; cant quite put my finger on it. the gti was a good show but it lacked focus, granted that makes it well rounded for everyday livability but when you want to get serious thats where it starts lacking. the mini cooper is just way too expensive with a short list of standard features for what you pay (cruise control is not even stantard). VW should have never killed the beelte turbo-s or they would have had a customer for sure, used ones are really beat up in CO. the poor srt4, all i can say is the srt guys really tried hard to make something good of that car; i shed a tear for them every night after that test drive. so theres not much else left in the FI crowd... all thats left are high revving hondas and the scarce nissan sentra SER specV.
3rd, im pretty good at building cars up. i mean, i did get my scion xA to do really well in the handling department, i even supercharged it. sadly, the bearings kept it from becoming a longer than 4-month modification. but for those 4 months the vehicle was fine, no engine troubles at all. the company just went cheap on the bearings used in the s/c.
4th, yes i do like the way the focus looks. its better looking to me than its direct competition and drives better than most of them, save the mazda3i, despite what publications say.

i would like to take on the challenge of beefing my focus up with a light pressure turbo system, a nice suspension setup, and better tires and wheels... you know, make it built for me, by me just like the scion was :) i dont mind voiding warranties or paying extra for engine stuff so long as the surrounding car holds up

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I rarely read any posts involving turbos, since I'll never put one on my Focus.....but I have worked on and repaired many (I'm an ex-Nissan mechanic).

The point here is you have an almost new car on which you're going to install an after-market turbo, voiding any engine warranty you have left. Seems to me that for the costs involved here, and the potential costs also.....you could have afforded a different car with a factory turbo.

You originally asked about reliability.....I can assure you, a Focus with a bolt-on turbo of any sort, run at any pressure, will be less reliable than a stock engine. If you just like to do engine mods for speed/power, go for it. But keep in mind it will be an engine more costly to maintain, and less reliable. There's no way around that...IMHO.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I'm curious about this also. Why would you bolt on a turbo, to an engine not designed for it, when you could have just bought a turbo-car to begin with?

What you'll end up with is a setup without a warranty, that is quite likely to fail at great expense.....as opposed to buying a car with a stock turbo, with a factory warranty, that is quite likely to be more reliable?

There are many STOCK motors running turbos that are doing quite well. I know more about the ZETEC than the DURATEC which is what you have.

The important thing is, do your research WELL. Purchase quality parts, and DO NOT CUT CORNERS. Have a very reliable tuner tune your car, and not just a local shop.

·
Registered
809 Posts
in the IT department I work in, someone would jump in here and say "Oh man, you just should all over the floor."

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't want to come across as a dick here, but don't we have these threads at least 3 times a week? Use the SEARCH button.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ actually i wasnt very clear in teh original question. i was hoping to get an answer about the focus' overall durability before doing turbo. meaning, how well does the overall car hold up, not just the engine. how many window regulators, clutch master cylinders, blower motors do these things eat, stuff like that. had i been clearer, you wouldnt have had to read another one of these posts nor "not come off as a dick". my apologies

·
Registered
656 Posts
There are at least a couple guy's with the FocusSport kit that have put 60,000 to 80,000 mile on there cars since installing with no problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Price is probably one reason the price i payed for a brand new Focus and FocusSport Stage-2 turbo kit was less than $15,000.Last time i checked around i didn't see any brand new factory equipped turbo cars in that price range and my car is as fast or faster than some of the higher priced ones.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Price isn't cheaper to buy a stock turbo car. Plus factory turbo'd cars kinda suck for it being turbo. Like said above, you can save a lot of money buying a focus then putting 5 grand into a turbo setup. Plus you learn a TON on the way. I can't wait till I finally drop some cash one my kit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
^^^ actually i wasnt very clear in teh original question. i was hoping to get an answer about the focus' overall durability before doing turbo. meaning, how well does the overall car hold up, not just the engine. how many window regulators, clutch master cylinders, blower motors do these things eat, stuff like that. had i been clearer, you wouldnt have had to read another one of these posts nor "not come off as a dick". my apologies
I'm sure there have been numerous threads on that topic as well.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Things I have replaced on 2 different foci.

Thermostat housing both around 30k
Clutch Master cylinder around 50k and the other around 70k

Thats it, motor wise very reliable car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
06 ST 2.3

I purchased my ST back in 05 of September/October brand new 2006 model.

I never done big mods to cars before this car. When I bought the focus I was going to keep it stock, and do a CAI, exhuast and lowered with wheels and call it a day.

But I went for the other direction. I wanted to learn how to do more then your NEWB installs.

Wanted to learn so I am one of the original first guys with the FS kit

I only had 18,000 miles on the car when I decided to go turbo and leave my warranty behind

95,000 + and counting total miles

77,000 miles of turboed miles

___

replaced so far:---

spark plugs ever 10k ~
Fuel fiter at 55k
brakes/rotors at 80k
driver and passager lower control arms, not needed but free at 60k.
passager side tie rod(last winter, ice = crub=bent TR)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure there have been numerous threads on that topic as well.
maybe, and maybe the search feature didnt answer my question entirely so i asked my own?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so far it seems pretty reliable so thats good. like i said earlier im willing to leave the warranties behind so long as the surrounding car holds up okay

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Just noticed...You have an 08', so there are no tunes out for your car, which would make it near impossible to work unless you switched back to a 05-07 CPU...I think.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Price is probably one reason the price i payed for a brand new Focus and FocusSport Stage-2 turbo kit was less than $15,000.Last time i checked around i didn't see any brand new factory equipped turbo cars in that price range and my car is as fast or faster than some of the higher priced ones.
I totally agree. The Focus (all models and years) is an excellent base vehicle for any D-I-Y up grade, including FI. The initial cost is low. The basic vehicle is well designed, and can handle power and suspension up grades. Parts are available, and there are a number of excellent after-market vendors, like FocusSport, which are pretty dedicated to the Focus. And, speaking only for myself, I really enjoy the learning process and satisfaction of planning and doing my own work, including up-grades. I feel I am blessed with a garage, tools , and a car to work on. I could afford to buy a Speed3 a GTI or even a C30, but I would really rather put money and work into my SVT......just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts