Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how durable is the 2.0L gdi engine?

Should i be worried if let's say i do a pull a day to near redline?

I'm curious because i don't want to blow an engine from just having a little fun. This can't be that bad, can it? Assuming of course the vehicle has all necessary vital fluids.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I'm curious because i don't want to blow an engine from just having a little fun. This can't be that bad, can it? Assuming of course the vehicle has all necessary vital fluids.
It's not just the engine. Transmission is equally expensive.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will not have any problems with the engine doing that. I do that everyday on everything I drive.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Good to know. But if everything you drive is quality, then you can expect it to last. I've never really seen mk3 foci come in for engine work when i was a tech, but i also believe most of the general population doesn't drive em hard.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are driving an automatic it just shifts for you which never lets you get into a danger zone.

On the manual transmission cars there is a rev limiter which will drop the rpm's down if you proceed into the redline zone. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
755 Posts
If your 2.0 ecoboost is turbo charged (ie. 2013-18 Focus ST), then read up on LSPI.
His car isn't an ST or he'd have mentioned that it was a performance model as that would be completely relevant to his question.
On the manual transmission cars there is a rev limiter which will drop the rpm's down if you proceed into the redline zone
Automatics have a rev limiter as well and can occasionally be noticed on cars with the SelectShift when it's in manual mode though it can upshift/downshift for you if you exceed certain limits/conditions before it ever hits the rev limiter. Neutral is rev limited to around 4k rpm regardless of trans.

I've read many times over the years that cars that are romped on sometimes have cleaner engines than ones that are babied their whole lives. Opening the car up a bit now and then is good for it. Obviously, if you overdo it then all you are doing is putting unnecessary strain on the parts that are weak and sooner or later you'll find out what that weak link is. Probably the diff, trans, or clutch before the 2.0L engine but if it's just hitting the rev limiter then no real risk is there.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are driving an automatic it just shifts for you which never lets you get into a danger zone.

On the manual transmission cars there is a rev limiter which will drop the rpm's down if you proceed into the redline zone. Don't ask me how I know.
Yea well aware of a rev limiter... but even so, running an engine at a higher rpm than necessary for road use (i dont think doing pulls counts as road use; probably more towards "offroad") will reduce the life of an engine or its components. I have not noticed it reducing my rpms since I am yet to bang the needle off the rev limit, or even gottin into any red part of it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't even get close to redline but I don't baby my Focus either. Really can't or I'd be dealing with the annoying clutch shudder. Such is the life of owning an auto Focus. I've noticed that since I've tweaked my driving habits it drives a million times better. To the point that the shudder issue isn't even a problem for me anymore.

I find that driving it quickly enough to where I'm near or above 3,000 RPM out of first for the shift to 2nd makes for clean feeling shifts. I'm not out here putting the throttle to the floor. I launch easy the first couple seconds as not to chirp the tires and then get on it a bit. It's not always 100% smooth but it's light years over the BS I was dealing with early on in owning a DCT Focus.

I'm not worried about the engine. Car had 45k miles when I got it. I'm now at 110. If this keeps the clutch honest longer I'll deal with any long term issues over dropping exorbitant dollars on a stupid problem. Ford doesn't deserve the $ anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
755 Posts
Car had 45k miles when I got it. I'm now at 110. If this keeps the clutch honest longer I'll deal with any long term issues over dropping exorbitant dollars on a stupid problem.
Your clutch is due pretty soon. I haven't read too many posts on here about DCT owners getting much more than 125k-130k miles on their original clutch. Some reported past that but very few. Mine was changed at 121k a year and a half ago when the last TCM was also replaced and updated. I've had only a handful of glitches in 47k miles of driving since then. Not that much more than for a conventional hydraulic auto. It popped out of gear only twice and shuddered a couple of times from a stop going uphill. That's it. The most updated parts have definitely proved essentially reliable.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Haha, but it doesn't brake for you if you accidentally downshift to 2nd when doing 80km/h. :whistle:

·
Registered
35 Posts

Let’s just say I put my 2 liter through straight hell. It goes to redline a lot multiple times a day. It has 130,000 miles and still ticks like a clock. Durable in my opinion!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let’s just say I put my 2 liter through straight hell. It goes to redline a lot multiple times a day. It has 130,000 miles and still ticks like a clock. Durable in my opinion!!
Also, if your auto trans has a the low gear option, go 25mph and let it fully upshift. Slam it into low and floor the pedal at the same time, and you can easily hit 7,000 rpm without throwing a rod. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sure, I could have figured that out, but i mean either way, it would be good to know how durable the engine and trans(manual) are for the mk3 focus.
Durable AF with just basic maintenance. I drive like a granny most of the time, but I get on it at least a few times/week. Mine enjoys it when I bounce off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have 154,000 miles on my 2015 SE and I drive it like I stole it! Runs great and has never given a moment’s trouble.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Durable AF with just basic maintenance. I drive like a granny most of the time, but I get on it at least a few times/week. Mine enjoys it when I bounce off the rev limiter.
It’s also good for these engines every once in a while to hit redline. These gdi engines use so little gas but they carbon up quick. Gotta clean the carbon off the valves🦶🏻🦵🏻🔥

·
Registered
217 Posts
It’s also good for these engines every once in a while to hit redline. These gdi engines use so little gas but they carbon up quick. Gotta clean the carbon off the valves🦶🏻🦵🏻🔥
True but I'm pretty sure nothing but a walnut blasting can remove GDI carbon buildup since the carbon builds up on the backside of the valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i have air to fuel ratio sensor and o2 sensor out on mine and it shudders like a mofo on accelerating past 55mph and lacks hella power but if im just in town its got its power

1 - 20 of 43 Posts