Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to following the std. 5k...10k...20k schedule that's printed in the back of the manual...I noticed that on the 2012 manual there are no mile intervals printed...just blank spaces for the service log.

Am I supposed to wait until the car tells me it's ready to be serviced?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I asked a Ford tech. He said just get it done every 5,000 miles. It won't hurt one bit. Get the tires rotated at the same time and you save on service trips too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I asked a Ford tech. He said just get it done every 5,000 miles. It won't hurt one bit. Get the tires rotated at the same time and you save on service trips too.
I've heard 10K or whenever the car tells you to. I'm not going to take it in at 5K for shits and giggles (and to spend $$$) if I can help it.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
There is a table when you can "expect your Intelligent Oil Life monitor to come on" on page 386 of the second printing of the US manual. It's anywhere from 3,000-10,000 miles. I'm not going to be waiting for a light to tell me when to change my oil. And since tires are recommend to be rotated every 5,000 miles, well like I said, two birds with one stone...and my engine will still be happily turning at over 200,000 miles. Spending money on maintaining an engine properly is not what I'd call "shits n giggles" as you call it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a table when you can "expect your Intelligent Oil Life monitor to come on" on page 386 of the second printing of the US manual. It's anywhere from 3,000-10,000 miles. I'm not going to be waiting for a light to tell me when to change my oil. And since tires are recommend to be rotated every 5,000 miles, well like I said, two birds with one stone...and my engine will still be happily turning at over 200,000 miles. Spending money on maintaining an engine properly is not what I'd call "shits n giggles" as you call it.
I had no idea tires were supposed to rotated every 5K miles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The front tires wear down fairly quickly so yes, get them rotated sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'll have to check but I was sure there was a maintenance schedule in one of the books.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'll have to check but I was sure there was a maintenance schedule in one of the books.

Posted via FF Mobile
If you're talking about for the oil I already posted what and where it is.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My dealership told me 5,000mi intervals. That plus tire rotation sounds like a great plan to me!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
My dealership told me 5,000mi intervals. That plus tire rotation sounds like a great plan to me!
I'm not sure if you use the fordowner.com website or not, but there's always coupons on there for "The Works" which includes Motorcraft synthetic, rotation, and a few standard checks for $40. Sounds like a fine deal every 5,000 miles to me.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'm not sure if you use the fordowner.com website or not, but there's always coupons on there for "The Works" which includes Motorcraft synthetic, rotation, and a few standard checks for $40. Sounds like a fine deal every 5,000 miles to me.
I will be now! Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well you see, you bring the car to a mechanic, point at it and say "thing don't work, fix please!". He'll bang it with a wrench a few times, then claim your hydro-sprocket-electro drive is broken and needs replacing. You wait a few hours, fork over your life savings, and It'l work for another 500 miles or so.... Oh wait you meant the Focus? I'm still accustomed to life with a 15 year old Cadillac.[:I]
Nah just change the oil every 5,000, take it in every 10,000 or so for a chassis lube and tire rotation, and follow any additional service advice that have at the set intervals. I don't give a damn if they say oil lasts 10,000 miles; they're the ones who make gobs of money off people replacing broken cars.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I tried to sign up for Mysync or whatever it is and couldn't. it wanted to know crap I have no idea the answers to until I actually get my car LOL

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I tried to sign up for Mysync or whatever it is and couldn't. it wanted to know crap I have no idea the answers to until I actually get my car LOL
You can sign up for fordowner and syncmyride once you have a VIN. Won't be a lot of detail until the car is built but you can still get at manuals, FAQs, etc. (which you could probably get at without even signing up but hey, why not sign up once you have your VIN).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't speak much for the 2012 as I only have just over 800 miles so far, but I only ever had minimum maintenance on my '03.

Oil changes every 5k-8k, with partial synthetic, then switched to full synthetic at 220,000 mi.

I changed the transmission fluid the first time at 160,000 mi and again at 210,000 mi.

New tires every 60,000 miles or so, I was never good about tire rotation either.

I think I went through 3 sets of brakes, a few tie rods, and a sway bar link.

The only warrantee work I ever had done was replacing a defective radio that suddenly started turning off and on at 1 second intervals, and one of those swap bar chains.

She did start burning out drivers side headlights every 3 months for the last 18 months I had her.

I had to replace the battery & starter in 2010, as well as get a new horn earlier this year.

She got up to 261,503 mi, before I hit the back of a truck, and they only declared her a total because of how much mileage she had on her. The new brakes were only a month old.

I never even got her a tune up and she still drive fine, just needed a new drivers seat but I do that to all my cars. I was still getting 32 mpg as well, but my driving is 90% highway.

If this Focus is half as good as my '03 I will be happy.

That Focus I got of the dealer floor, in 04. She was a year old model who spent that year in the show room as far as I can tell. She only had 8 or so miles on her when I took her off the lot.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Well, my car is sitting in my work parking lot with 19,999 miles on it. I got a letter from my dealer telling me to go there for my 20k mile service. As far as I can tell (from the manual), the only things I need done are the usual 5k mile oil change / tire rotation and a cabin air filter replacement (if needed). Is that all? I want to make sure they don't con me into getting something unnecessary like my brake fluid flushed or something. I'll have them top off the halogen fluid, though. [;)]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
What's the tranny fluid rated at with the manuals on this car? I think coolant was 100,000 miles

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, my car is sitting in my work parking lot with 19,999 miles on it. I got a letter from my dealer telling me to go there for my 20k mile service... I'll have them top off the halogen fluid, though. [;)]
What's the tranny fluid rated at with the manuals on this car? I think coolant was 100,000 miles
Hey PratoN & Duffman355,

Check out the following resource on Owner.Ford.com. Once you plug in the requested information, a list of services will display.

@Praton – Uhmmm….don’t see halogen fluid service, but that may be due to my dark glasses. [:D]
#justsayin #thanksforthebellylaugh

@Duffman355 – According to the above link, the manual transmission fluid should be changed at 100,000 miles.

Take care and give me a shout out if you need further info.

Noemi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts