Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did some searching and someone posted a link to a youtube video of the real test Ford does to test the DCT. Only issue was the video was deleted. Does anyone know how they test these cars? Something about the shudder has to be above 250rpm or something.

If they only take the car on the road for a 4 minute test drive and it shifts perfect then im screwed. Currently, my car is shifting butter smooth with rare hiccups when im driving alone. Its been driving butter smooth about 90% of te time for about 500 miles.

Last Saturday was the first time in 500 miles i had a passenger in my car and it bucked and shuddered and jerked on every take off.. Not sure how im suppose to go on a date with a car like this.

How did you guys get Ford to install new clutches on the 1st complaint?

Will they ALWAYS reset the TCM and send you on your way when its your 1st time in service for the transmission.
I just had the clutches replaced on my 2014. I had only 11,500 miles. I took it in for an unrelated issue and only mentioned a very slight shudder. They tested it and due to RPM said it needed new clutches. I just got the car back Friday and it drives like new again. No haggling or issue with them not being able to duplicate the problem. Fortunately they did not base the diagnoses on the shudder.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Everything is on Ford, but the taxes. Which will come out my pocket.

Heres how it went:
I was told im getting the /2015 2016 hatchback red ford focus. Only to be told its taken and i cant get it. I really wanted to drive that to experience a hatchback focus. The rental guy said the transmission sucked before i even told him i had a focus lol.

I was then offered a big Ford pickup. I declined that as i never drove one before lol.

Then i was offered a Ford Transit. I declined that big time.

I told them i will come back later when another Ford brand car arrives [giddy]. Both of those two vehciles are too big for my driving and parking. So finally, i get a ford fusion. Now that im driving the Fusion.. i really hate my Focus =[ darn it. LOL Fusion is so much better =[

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Shoulda gone Transit - utility you're less likely to fall in love with.
[giddy] LOL, so true. Shouldve got a car i would hate. I got a shuttle from the dealer to the car rental place in a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport Ti... so i was already hating my little ole Focus with just the shuttle ride. The explorer was really nice. I know Ford is capable of making nice cars and trucks. Just not the Focus/Fiesta tranmission [hihi]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just crossed 40,000 miles on the 14 Titanium and the shudder has started. It was built the last week of production and has been good up until now. It feels like going over rough undulating road when starting in 1st gear. Right on cue we got a letter from Ford yesterday stating that the TCM warranty coverage has been extended to 150,000 miles. I will be getting in the shop to be looked at in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just crossed 40,000 miles on the 14 Titanium and the shudder has started. It was built the last week of production and has been good up until now. It feels like going over rough undulating road when starting in 1st gear. Right on cue we got a letter from Ford yesterday stating that the TCM warranty coverage has been extended to 150,000 miles. I will be getting in the shop to be looked at in the next few weeks.
I just got that same letter about the TCM. I just figured i got it because im a new owner.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bitter freaking sweet. They finished my clutch change early. They were suppose to start on it this morning but I believe they started yesterday when I dropped it off. I was just starting to enjoy my rental fusion. Dang. I'll pick it up later and report how she's driving.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Car is currently driving beautiful. You dont feel the shifts at all 95% of the time and in fact the fusion shifts are way more noticeable than the focus with new clutches.

Im not sure how long this will last but its like a new car currently. The feeling of the slippage during shifting is 100% gone and i haven't felt one shudder when I say slippage I mean you can feel the clutches do a dance shuffle while shifting and it did this without shuddering. Its funny it shifts way more smoother than a conventional automatic at the moment.

This is with me in the car. The true test is when i get a passenger in the car.

One last thing to note: The fusion transmission felt like a refined DCT to me at times without all the issues. It has the very same LAG if i punch it and the engine catches and goes. I guess is the programming ford is using on there recent cars. 1st gear on the fusion was smooth but the Focus might be able to beat that smoothness if it the "F" clutches dont go to crap.

REALLY sucked i brought the car @ 15k miles with burnt out clutches. Road smooth during the test drive loaded with 3 people, but terrible that same night after signing the papers.. up to this day. Glad that is over with.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Car is currently driving beautiful. You dont feel the shifts at all 95% of the time and in fact the fusion shifts are way more noticeable than the focus with new clutches.

Im not sure how long this will last but its like a new car currently. The feeling of the slippage during shifting is 100% gone and i haven't felt one shudder when I say slippage I mean you can feel the clutches do a dance shuffle while shifting and it did this without shuddering. Its funny it shifts way more smoother than a conventional automatic at the moment.

This is with me in the car. The true test is when i get a passenger in the car.

One last thing to note: The fusion transmission felt like a refined DCT to me at times without all the issues. It has the very same LAG if i punch it and the engine catches and goes. I guess is the programming ford is using on there recent cars. 1st gear on the fusion was smooth but the Focus might be able to beat that smoothness if it the "F" clutches dont go to crap.

REALLY sucked i brought the car @ 15k miles with burnt out clutches. Road smooth during the test drive loaded with 3 people, but terrible that same night after signing the papers.. up to this day. Glad that is over with.
I had 11,500 miles. I picked up my car this past Friday. I don't feel the shifts now either, and not the revving it did when searching for a gear. We both hope we don't have to keep revisiting this problem. I would like to get a late model used car for my wife. Many preowned Foci but I won't touch one with the DCT even with the extended warranty.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm scared to drive now. I just feel like a failure is coming and I will get the shuddering and jerking back like most people.

Do I baby it?? No creeping or anything the DCT hates. This sucks now lol. The dct hates babying so that can't be good and I don't want to drive it hard during the break in time if I have any.

Ease my thoughts please =)

I'm in love with the edge sport. I would replace the focus with that in a heart beat over the fusion. Long as it has good reviews.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
In the car now. The first few shifts after it sat for hours had the shuddering. But after the first few shifts it's smooth again. Acceptable though I guess since the clutches are new. Seems to shift faster now to the next gears so maybe they put a new tcm update also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 had the shudder issues and I had it in for some reflashes that would help but not really fix the problem. Had it in for scheduled service about 3 months ago and mentioned the shudders had again started periodically and the service writer smiled and said "NOW we have the technology!" A mechanic took it out for a test drive and thankfully "Henry" (as I call the Focus) cooperated by shuddering. A clutch kit was immediately ordered and within a week I was called to schedule the work. It was done and I have since put several thousand miles on the car with 0 problems. I was worried that after the work that my excellent fuel mileage would be harmed but instead it got even better - now I'm averaging around 40 mpg on 75% highway 20 % suburban 5% city driving. BmXStuD I was also worried for awhile that the shudders would come back but I am now feeling confident that they won't. Overall I am pleased with the dealer - no charge for parts or labor of course and I was treated very well. I kind of feel sorry for Ford having all these problems with the DCT - wonder if the DCT supplier was at fault?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I kind of feel sorry for Ford having all these problems with the DCT - wonder if the DCT supplier was at fault?
Ford went the cheap route and it bit them in the ass, no need to feel sorry for them.

History teaches us so we do not have to make the same mistake, which VW's dual dry clutch transmission mess (history lesson) should have taught Ford.

The supplier is 50% Ford and 50% Getrag.

IMO dual dry clutch transmissions are not suitable equipment for automobiles

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ford went the cheap route and it bit them in the ass, no need to feel sorry for them.

History teaches us so we do not have to make the same mistake, which VW's dual dry clutch transmission mess (history lesson) should have taught Ford.

The supplier is 50% Ford and 50% Getrag.

IMO dual dry clutch transmissions are not suitable equipment for automobiles
But car makers are still putting the dry dct in new cars. Buyers need to be very aware!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am due for the 15,000 mile oil change in 1000 miles... so I am going to once again moan about the crappy clutch system. Maybe in can get a new clutch too. right now I am so pissed I bought this 2015....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am due for the 15,000 mile oil change in 1000 miles... so I am going to once again moan about the crappy clutch system. Maybe in can get a new clutch too. right now I am so pissed I bought this 2015....
Good luck. Im still kind of pissed i brought my 2014. Transmission is a terrible design when its acting up.

Wish i wasnt so cheap and got the fusion [bigcry] Being cheap got me the Focus with low miles thinking im getting a car that'll last years with no major issues. I was wrong.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts