Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some searching and someone posted a link to a youtube video of the real test Ford does to test the DCT. Only issue was the video was deleted. Does anyone know how they test these cars? Something about the shudder has to be above 250rpm or something.

If they only take the car on the road for a 4 minute test drive and it shifts perfect then im screwed. Currently, my car is shifting butter smooth with rare hiccups when im driving alone. Its been driving butter smooth about 90% of te time for about 500 miles.

Last Saturday was the first time in 500 miles i had a passenger in my car and it bucked and shuddered and jerked on every take off.. Not sure how im suppose to go on a date with a car like this.

How did you guys get Ford to install new clutches on the 1st complaint?

Will they ALWAYS reset the TCM and send you on your way when its your 1st time in service for the transmission.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Part of a first visit procedure is to reflash to the latest software and do a touch point reset of the system. That type reset can't be done without the IDS computer or similar system as discussed in another recent thread on resets.

The 250 RPM limit (and others that have in the past been used to determine the type of repair done) is a variation in speed of the engine, as reported by the crank sensor.

This can give almost instantaneous reports on speed variations, sensitive enough to report the variations in speed from a small misfire and report it by cylinder with reference to the cam position sensor.

One recommendation from long ago on getting assistance when symptoms are intermittent, was to determine when they'd happen and take the car in by arrangement to show the symptoms when they were happening.

The common corollary to that was to drive the car until warmed up for those that only messed up in extended stop & go use to prove the issue.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of a first visit procedure is to reflash to the latest software and do a touch point reset of the system. That type reset can't be done without the IDS computer or similar system as discussed in another recent thread on resets.

The 250 RPM limit (and others that have in the past been used to determine the type of repair done) is a variation in speed of the engine, as reported by the crank sensor.

This can give almost instantaneous reports on speed variations, sensitive enough to report the variations in speed from a small misfire and report it by cylinder with reference to the cam position sensor.

One recommendation from long ago on getting assistance when symptoms are intermittent, was to determine when they'd happen and take the car in by arrangement to show the symptoms when they were happening.

The common corollary to that was to drive the car until warmed up for those that only messed up in extended stop & go use to prove the issue.
[thumb] Thanks for the quick reply. Always like to see your replies on this forum. I see now and hopefully my car will fail the required tests. I guess ill be hopeful if the "touch point re learn" can fix my issues as its been driving smooth with my weight in the car only.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did some searching and someone posted a link to a youtube video of the real test Ford does to test the DCT. Only issue was the video was deleted. Does anyone know how they test these cars? Something about the shudder has to be above 250rpm or something.

If they only take the car on the road for a 4 minute test drive and it shifts perfect then im screwed. Currently, my car is shifting butter smooth with rare hiccups when im driving alone. Its been driving butter smooth about 90% of te time for about 500 miles.

Last Saturday was the first time in 500 miles i had a passenger in my car and it bucked and shuddered and jerked on every take off.. Not sure how im suppose to go on a date with a car like this.

How did you guys get Ford to install new clutches on the 1st complaint?

Will they ALWAYS reset the TCM and send you on your way when its your 1st time in service for the transmission.
Yes on 1st complaint. Actually it was not even a complaint, but just a mention. Minor shuddering when starting off mostly when very hot out. Mentioned this when taking car in for something else. They said clutches failed their test or out of spec. Something like that. They ordered new ones for me. Yeah, 6 week wait but I wasn't even concerned about the shudder as it is very minor. They did reset PCM/TCM in the mean time. No appreciable change but at least it's not worse.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Weight Sensitivity

[thumb] Thanks for the quick reply. Always like to see your replies on this forum. I see now and hopefully my car will fail the required tests. I guess ill be hopeful if the "touch point re learn" can fix my issues as its been driving smooth with my weight in the car only.
I have experienced a similar deterioration in clutch shudder with additional passengers in my wife's Job 1 2014 Focus. My Job 2 2014 Focus is not as sensitive. They both have "F" clutches and were updated programming wise towards the end of 2015.

If you think about how the system adapts to normal driving behavior, additional passengers in our cars only happen once in awhile. It makes sense that the clutch actuation with more load would be off the mark, especially with the load from the air conditioning in the summer (and of course we know that hotter temperatures don't help either).

I'm also using mid-grade gas in both of them and which improves their behavior. Getting the evap/fuel tank system replaced on my wife's Focus (TSB 16-0062) also made a difference.

Overall, pretty disappointed in the performance and resale value of our cars, especially my wife's Focus; but for the moment livable. I may regret putting that in print. [?|]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have experienced a similar deterioration in clutch shudder with additional passengers in my wife's Job 1 2014 Focus. My Job 2 2014 Focus is not as sensitive. They both have "F" clutches and were updated programming wise towards the end of 2015.

If you think about how the system adapts to normal driving behavior, additional passengers in our cars only happen once in awhile. It makes sense that the clutch actuation with more load would be off the mark, especially with the load from the air conditioning in the summer (and of course we know that hotter temperatures don't help either).

I'm also using mid-grade gas in both of them and which improves their behavior. Getting the evap/fuel tank system replaced on my wife's Focus (TSB 16-0062) also made a difference.

Overall, pretty disappointed in the performance and resale value of our cars, especially my wife's Focus; but for the moment livable. I may regret putting that in print. [?|]
How are the Fiesta's? I see you have a family of Ford DCTs[:0]

·
Registered
110 Posts
You asked about the Fiesta's

How are the Fiesta's? I see you have a family of Ford DCTs[:0]
My son's 2011 has run flawlessly since new; it has about 60K miles on it. It sees a lot of highway driving with occasional trips into Chicago. My daughter's 2013 has had the clutch replaced and does shudder periodically. It sees heavy city traffic duty in Boston. I think it would be better with midgrade fuel, unfortunately she can't afford it.

If you tally it up, 3 out of 4 required a clutch replacement (my wife's 2014 Focus at 7K miles, my daughter's Fiesta at 16K miles and my 2014 Focus at 24K miles). That is a pretty terrible track record. And by the way, only my daughter's Fiesta had leaking seals!

One interesting note is that my son's 2011 Fiesta seems to have a lower first gear (higher numerically) as the engine revs higher in first gear than the other cars. With the greater torque multiplication, the clutch doesn't need to slip much at all to launch. I wonder if Ford had kept that approach on the later Fiesta's and Focus's if we all wouldn't have so many clutch problems?[bigcry]

·
Registered
409 Posts
My son's 2011 has run flawlessly since new; it has about 60K miles on it. It sees a lot of highway driving with occasional trips into Chicago. My daughter's 2013 has had the clutch replaced and does shudder periodically. It sees heavy city traffic duty in Boston. I think it would be better with midgrade fuel, unfortunately she can't afford it.

If you tally it up, 3 out of 4 required a clutch replacement (my wife's 2014 Focus at 7K miles, my daughter's Fiesta at 16K miles and my 2014 Focus at 24K miles). That is a pretty terrible track record. And by the way, only my daughter's Fiesta had leaking seals!

One interesting note is that my son's 2011 Fiesta seems to have a lower first gear (higher numerically) as the engine revs higher in first gear than the other cars. With the greater torque multiplication, the clutch doesn't need to slip much at all to launch. I wonder if Ford had kept that approach on the later Fiesta's and Focus's if we all wouldn't have so many clutch problems?[bigcry]
My first gear revs so high that I am only ever in it during take off. 2nd is low enough to go over speed bumps both when I let the car decide in D and when I tell it what gear to use in S.

*Yes I have a diesel but my first gear revs really high too and I don't have issues.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just dropped it off. Service adviser asked what the transmission is doing. Come on now . He knows exactly what this transmission is capable of lol.

I'm worried I might get blown off because I can't get it to act up much atm unless I add a passenger which I noted.

Said if it needs work they might keep it till Monday if not 2 hours to check it. Hopefully, it does so I can pull the neglected mustang out the garage. Never gets drove since I daily the focus.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay. They didn't even test it with a computer. Said a mechanic took it for a quick drive and said it shuddered on first to second gear and ordered me clutches right on the spot.

Sent from my SM-N900P using FF Mobile

edit: I think they might've hooked her up to the computer for a test drive. Paper work says:

"shudders upon accel from a stop. 1-2 shift also test system- Clutch Ordered"

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Worried enough it was almost a let down when they test drove & agreed to give you exactly what you were looking for.

Give the Service Writer a break, doesn't know in advance just what issue you have and it could be symptoms of a TCM issue not a clutch one. Info. from the customer can often be diagnostic of the real issue before they even look at it to confirm - and saves wasted time looking for the wrong problem.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worried enough it was almost a let down when they test drove & agreed to give you exactly what you were looking for.

I think it's awesome they didnt rule book test it

Give the Service Writer a break, doesn't know in advance just what issue you have and it could be symptoms of a TCM issue not a clutch one. Info. from the customer can often be diagnostic of the real issue before they even look at it to confirm - and saves wasted time looking for the wrong problem.
I know clutches aren't always the cure for dct issue. I'm just hoping it'll fix most of the issues I have. Car has been shuddering bad since the night I signed the papers and took a ride with my girlfriend to break her in. Chalked it off as not a bad issue because I was happy to get a low mile car.

Hopefully now the first to second gear shudder will be gone and I can explore my other options of fine tweaking this car.

It'll be over a 6 week wait for parts though sadly.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
My first DCT replacement was at 13,000 miles. At 45,000, I took the car in for shudder although it was very minor. They replaced the DCT clutches to the latest revision (I think the first was a D revision) and I think its the smoothest i've every experienced. I also think the latest firmware has done wonders for upshifts and downshifts in everyday driving compared to past ones. I only hope it lasts because I really love this car. [:)]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just realized they had a incorrect number down on the invoice they use to call me when the clutches come in stock. So i called my dealer PARTS departments and asked to update the number they use when the parts come to call me.

He said hes not able to do that but we do have clutches in stock so, Let me transfer you over to service to get you scheduled. So, im not sure if i jumped the huge waiting line or what but im taking my car in on the 8th of August for clutches.

[:)][hihi][headbang]

And there providing a rental car on there pocket. I could drive my garaged mustang thats collecting dust, but since its a warranty issue im going to take some more coin out of fords pockets.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank the Dealer, that's normally out of their pocket for a rental.

He told me they dont provide loaners, but can provide a rental IF i brought the extended warranty. I did tack on the extended warranty when i brought it. Would be funny if i get a worn out DCT Focus or Fiesta for my rental which is highly likely since the rental companies are flooded with DCT focus cars.

Hopefully this cures my issues and i can have a nice driving daily and be able to lug passengers around. [headbang]

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Good luck with it.

Yes, that's a different case and the extended warranty covers the rental.

The service programs that extend warranty on certain items kick in when factory warranties run out. You're covered for more than is included in those programs, they would still kick in once any extended warranty runs out IF still in force at that time (like the 10/150k on the TCM that includes a one day rental for the job).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The turd goes into the dealer garage today. I stopped by after work to confirm how the rental works. Its sucks, but not the worst i guess:

I have to put down a $50 down payment on a Credit card i believe. Ford is responsible for the daily rental fee only (they dont pay tax) and im responsible for taxes per day on the rental daily price. The service adviser said about $4 tax per day i will pay out my own pocket. He said what most people do is have them take the taxes out of the down payment you get back at the end of your rental.
The average time for replacing the clutches and finishing the job is 1 day and a half. So i will be out about $12-$20 taxes since im dropping it off a day early and was told it will take longer than average since there busy. Im dropping it off a day in advance since they need it by 9am but im @ [email protected] 9am so day before will only work for me.

Does this sound fair?

thanks

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Most rentals include a damage/fuel refill deposit and usually need a credit card number as part of that. Like any other rental check the details & make sure you get it full/return it full to avoid high fees for them to do it.

As far as the Ford extended warranty paying the taxes on the rental fee goes, check the details in your warranty ppwk.. Paying the daily rental fee may be the entire liability under the contract, it would be a simple way to word it so all the "extras" that can be tacked onto rental fees don't get claimed.

They typically wouldn't be paying for fuel/fuel refill charges, extra optional insurance, damage deposit, damages, up charges for a larger vehicle - any of the many extras that could be included in a rental contract. Yep, I can see listing the coverage as daily rental fee only.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts