Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k, so my ebake is loosened up a bit, and i just wanna tighten it up so that i dont have to pull the handle all the way until it hits the armrest. How can i tighten it so that it will be fully engaged at about half way up from its resting point?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Take off the boot, then there is a screw to the left of the ebrake handle.
There is a clip you have to remove first, but once you do, its as simple as tightening the screw.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I just did that the other day on my '06 automatic. You have to remove the complete center consul to do mine (5 screws, fairly easy). The clip just keeps the nut from moving on it's own. Don't make it so tight the emerg brake drags.....

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks for movin this and thanks for the info. rep given

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There's no free play adjustment for the handle on the brakes themselves. That one nut under the consul adjusts both brake cables. This is just an emergency brake handle adjustment. The brakes themselves both have automatic adjusters.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I just did that the other day on my '06 automatic. You have to remove the complete center consul to do mine (5 screws, fairly easy).
They didn't change the center console since the new cupholder design. Did you try just removing the boot? I know it works in my 05.

3 clips are easier than 5 screws

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just did this on my 03 ZX5. all you have to do is remove the boot. The adjustment nut is right there. Will save you a lot of time.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As Bluefront mentioned, the rears are SUPPOSED to auto adjust, and the handbrake adjustment is just there to adjust for new cables that might be slightly different...

If the rears aren't auto-adjusting any more you can buy some time with this adjustment, just remember to back it off when the rears are replaced in the future...

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I believe the way to force adjusters to adjust is to simply get moving in reverse and pull up the e-brake. If that doesn't work, you might want to remove the drums to see what's going on back there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts