Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally loose feeling... In my brothers Focus, its like 3-4 clicks up and its TIGHT. Mine, you yank it up as far as you can possibly go, and it will still roll. How do I fix this? I tried searching and didnt come up with much... -Dennis

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The adjuster is under the center consul, on the side of the E-Brake handle. You just tighten down one nut to take up the play in the cable. Don't think there's any other way that's as easy.

Remove the center consul, tighten one nut....takes a few minutes.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Agreed bluefront, but i do have to say if you tighten it up to much you wont get the center console back on...........I found out the hard way.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you can do it from underneath the car, its how i was told to do mine, but it was a royal PITA, I ended up doing it under the counsil cause i couldn't get mine tight enough!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^^Yeah you just tighten the nut, till the E-Brake handle is tight at about 5-6 clicks or so. Make it too tight and the rear brakes will drag......and you might have trouble getting the consul back on over the boot.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
I had the techs at ford do mine cause I had it in for service anyway they didn't charge me for it so I was cool with that.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i just adjusted mine...it took like no time at all...i adjusted it through the center cousil man

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I got it all done, and it feels way better now [wave]

bluefront, rep added! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
689 Posts
best way is to take off the drum and adjust the shoes to properly fit with the drums.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^That's not true. These are self adjusting brakes.....no matter how you set the adjusters before you put the drum back on, it will adjust itself after you drive/brake a few times.

The adjustment for the E-Brake is a different operation. By tightening that one nut under the consul, you're just taking up free play in the E-brake cable......you're not adjusting the rear brakes at all.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
^^^^^That's not true. These are self adjusting brakes.....no matter how you set the adjusters before you put the drum back on, it will adjust itself after you drive/brake a few times.

The adjustment for the E-Brake is a different operation. By tightening that one nut under the consul, you're just taking up free play in the E-brake cable......you're not adjusting the rear brakes at all.
bf, do you have a pic of this nut? id like to tighten mine a tad. its at 48k, and i think the cable has stretched a bit over the time (i have a manual, so i am constantly using it)

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Here you go NemesisEnforcer. FocusHacks ebrake adjustment I had also PM'd this to you just in case you don't read it here. As bluefront had said you just want to be careful how much you tighten this or else you're going to be in a world of trouble trying to get your center console back over the ebrake itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts