Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep brake dust off rims

OK, I know I'm not the only one whose fed up with brake dust on their front wheels.
I don't mind cleaning the rims but there's got to be an easier or better way to keep the front rims clean of brake dust.

Anyone know of anything you can put on your front rims to keep the brake dust from sticking on them ?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. I searched. Didn't find anything about keeping brake dust off the rims.
2. I was looking for an alternative to replacing the pads. Just wondering if someone had found some magic brake dust repellant spray that will keep the brake dust off the rims.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
they make polishes specifically for rims, too. works great in that it makes it easier to get the dust off, but i didn't think it reduced it that much. best bet is to switch pads. i know you already know that, but i just had to state it again.

Mike

·
Registered
793 Posts
microtonal said:
1. I searched. Didn't find anything about keeping brake dust off the rims.
2. I was looking for an alternative to replacing the pads. Just wondering if someone had found some magic brake dust repellant spray that will keep the brake dust off the rims.
Theres a lot of times search doesnt work. There was a topic the other day I was looking for that was current and search couldent find it, I had to go forum by forum to find it, yet it was still there, so dont be a dick and always assume nobody tries to search

One the topic, I would try the polish. Personally I just switched to Metal-Matrix composed pads to avoid dust, ford OE pads suck

·
Registered
793 Posts
k, it just seems people are real dicks on here either complaining about oil topics or searching, who cares, if you feel the person isnt using the site coreectly or you crap your pants everytime someone brings up oil because you cant control your temper then DONT POST on that thread. Let freedom of speech reign......

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Green stuff pads are the poop...Not only do they not leave a dust trail they will stop you faster and help release heat and slow brake fade!!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No hurt feelings here.

I know Infra3sv and hotfocus was just giving me ***** since I have the FF search button in my sig.

Well, I'll try some polish and then look at getting some better brakes in the future.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Re: How do you keep brake dust off rims

microtonal said:
OK, I know I'm not the only one whose fed up with brake dust on their front wheels.
I don't mind cleaning the rims but there's got to be an easier or better way to keep the front rims clean of brake dust.

Anyone know of anything you can put on your front rims to keep the brake dust from sticking on them ?
Rain-X and Eagle 1 both make a spray for your wheels that keeps break dust from sticking. I've tried them and they work well. Great for my Lightning when I am towing. But the best Idea is just to replace your pads with some Hawk pads like I did. Better braking, and zero dust for a long time.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I picked up some stuff at the gas station on the air force base here that comes in little wipes. You clean your rims with them and not only does it do a good job cleaning, but it keeps the dust from sticking after you have used them. I'll have to check out the product name when I get home.

·
Registered
870 Posts
an extremely quick way to clean your rims (like 20 seconds for all of them) is with this tool i got at Wal-Mart for $2. It looks like a veggie scrubber but is non abrasive. works on wet or dry rims. just run the brush all over the dust and poof its gone......plus its CHEAP!

·
Registered
26 Posts
the ebc green stuff pads work real well with helping to eliminate brake dut and improve overall bracking, thats what i use..

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
u coud just paint/powder couat ur rims black, or gunmetal-u might still have butt loads of brake dust, but who could tell??eh??[idea]

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Cool I am glad I found this post.

*HELP!

I am having a difficult time cuz I have lots of brake dust and it's soo hard to keep these babies clean (the grooves.. ugh!) I just take it to the $5.00 wash and usually the guys there will polish my wheels for free cuz they dig me. [;)] But I live at Walmart, what should I look for there???

*HELP AGAIN!

Also, I am in desperate need of changing my pads but I don't know which ones to get and I need someone to put them on for me since I prob can't figure it out. Should I go somewhere or should I buy some (which?!!?) and have a friend do it?

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts