Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question but i was wondering how you guys safely do this?

What ive been doing is just picking a time of the day there isnt heavy traffic on a local freeway with a 65MPH speed limit and just race up the onramp. Im usualy about 80 when i left off but i only seem to get about a second or 2 of WOT

Do you guys do it this way? im usually rolling about 20-25 around the turn before the onramp before i nail it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
when i was tuning with tom at first it was 3rd gear from 2500rpm till 4000rpm. sent him a log he tweeked sent it back then did 3000-5000rpm tweeked it. 3000-6000 3000-7000 then a 3000 in 3rd till 7000, shift into 4th and ride that for a bit.

basicly do 3rd gear pulls slowly adding rpm after looking the log over/having someone else do it

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Desolate road late at night. I have to use 3rd/4th for WOT and I hate how fast I have to go to get good logs. Top of 3rd is triple digit speed.
I've tried 5th WOT logs but I can't get the RPM I need.
1st/2nd go by way to fast to get any worthwhile data.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Desolate road late at night. I have to use 3rd/4th for WOT and I hate how fast I have to go to get good logs. Top of 3rd is triple digit speed.
I've tried 5th WOT logs but I can't get the RPM I need.
1st/2nd go by way to fast to get any worthwhile data.
Ill get a good file and ill be winding it way up and a deer will pop out in the road and then my tuning will be done.

Thats one of the things i have problems with also, getting third wound up starts to get into the ticket MPH range. 90 in a 70 i think 70 is as fast as the highways around here are.

·
1.0 Powa
2,906 Posts
I do my pulls in my atx in 2nd gear. I have done 3rd gear pulls but its more like a 3500-7000 than a 2000-7000 pull.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Just curious,
With the WOT pull, what are you guys tuning for? (assuming you're not relying completely on a tuner (Tom, Randy, etc.))

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i thought it was to get into open/closed loop to set A/F?

Which is it open or closed loop at WOT?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If that's the case you may not need as much speed or RPM as you think. From 6 to 7,000rpm the air flow won't change much. If you look at MAF Counts you'll see this. So basically when the MAF Counts stop rising you can let off.

If it where tuning for ignition timing then you may need to go the extra RPM. But that depends on how your ignition is mapped. In stock form the map stop at ~6,000 RPM (well actually it's 6,000rpm up to something like 17,000).
But in a case like I did to my maps where I added a step at 7,333 RPM. I need the extra RPM to build the map.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that's the case you may not need as much speed or RPM as you think. From 6 to 7,000rpm the air flow won't change much. If you look at MAF Counts you'll see this. So basically when the MAF Counts stop rising you can let off.

If it where tuning for ignition timing then you may need to go the extra RPM. But that depends on how your ignition is mapped. In stock form the map stop at ~6,000 RPM (well actually it's 6,000rpm up to something like 17,000).
But in a case like I did to my maps where I added a step at 7,333 RPM. I need the extra RPM to build the map.
Well i dont know actualy it was just a guess. I just assume its to set the open loop.

I had a bolt fall out of my intake today i think i got it up to 6K and heard a noise and my brother thought it sounded like a bolt had fallen out. Not sure how he knew it was a bolt. Got it home and noticed one was missing.

I think im going to take it back off and replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like someone remembered that they forgot to tighten a bolt lol
Well i checked em all when we were done i think the vibration worked it out. I remember going over all of them once we were done just incase.

That and the exhaust were the only things ive done latley. He checked the exhaust i checked the intake and seen it was gone. I think he figured it was the exhaust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts