Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to paint my calipers and I want to do it right, people are saying use three coats and others say use 10[???:)] Also before you paint do you need to use chemicals to thoughly clean it etc. I really want this paint to last and also to have a gloss finish to them :D

Thank you,

Graham

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I read that post but, In order to do a really nice job dont you need to take off your caliper, and there is a guy at the end who was saying that in order to do a real good job you can't paint the caliper on the car like that... You need to put it in the oven or something... I really don't know I can't find the post that said that and I just saw the guy's post like 30 minutes ago.

Thanks,

Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
paint professior in da house, paint 101

1) always clean any surface before any painting and or sanding.
2) sand smooth any areas that might need it, it also does not hurt to lightly sand the entire area to insure max adhesion.
3) use a primer (unless the kit says not to) two or three light coats wait about 15 to 20 minutes between coats.
4) after recomended drying time two or three thin coats of finish (this should be plenty of paint to hide the primer) again 15 to 20 minutes between coats
5) clear coat is opional but same applacation as primer and paint.

notes: it is better to remove the claiper IMO also re-installing them too soon can cause a problem paint will dry quickly but needs a few days to achive maxium hardness. it can be done but just be careful.

any other question just ask i'll be glad to help

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I painted my calipers and drums with caliper paint. I didn't remove them completely.....left the hydraulic line attached. The problem you'll have if you do it like this is cleaning the caliper. I used a bunch of different cleaners.....spent a lot of time. But I'm still getting small chips of the paint flaking off. It would have been better to remove the caliper completely.

But that process sounds like too much trouble for what you get. Touch-up is easy enough....that's what I'll be doing.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I highly suggest using the brush on kind of caliper paint, i think its made by duplicolor.
You can get it at advanced auto parts, or similar stores like that.
You don't have to take the calipers off, just take your time and tape everything off very well.
Then paint away. I did 3 coats on mine, and they are holding up perfect.
You don't use primer or clearcoat. The caliper paint is quite glossy, and
clearcoat is not recommended. You can see mine in my avatar pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts