Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended and now my rear wiper on my 2004 focus zx3 doesn't work and makes a ticking noise like it's relaying on and off. The ticking noise is bugging me and I want to disable it.

What's the best way to disable my rear wiper?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Track down the fuse that runs the wiper...although the front wipers could be powered by the same fuse. You could just unplug the motor...although, can you tell if its the motor that's clicking or the relay for the motor?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seem's to be the motor clicking. The noise is coming from the area where the wiper motor is. Although i don't really know what a relay is, so if it's back where the motor is also, it could be that.

Since i can't even open my trunk anymore, I can only see and get too one screw and take that off. It seems to be where power is being sent from. Hmm maybe i'll try to remove it and see what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I talked to my insurance yesterday, and they determined my car to be a total loss. Luckily my car is still driveable, and I should be getting a fat check pretty soon. I plan on driving it without fixing it.

I only have 25,000 miles only, hmm i wonder if my warranty is still good, hehe.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
my jeep did this...i just cut the wires to it since it didnt work anyways.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
you sould always be careful simply cutting wires... make sure you tape up the end of the wires so you dont have power applied to an open circuit just waiting for something to create a short to ground... (that something could be you) it really would not cause any harm to you, probably just a bit of a shock, depending on the voltage applied and your resistance at the time....

danger from electrical circuits starts at about 10 milliamps (a milliamp is 1/1000s of an amp) this small amount of current can cause temporary muscle paralisis or "freezing." respiratory paralysis can occur at 30 milliamps and 75 millamps can cause ventricular fibrillation which can be fatal. informative linky

just a word of warning.... make sure you take extreme caution around electrical wiring....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"just a word of warning.... make sure you take extreme caution around electrical wiring...."

Always good advice, but with 12 volts, you'd practically have to stick it into the heart with a needle to cause a problem -- you just aren't going to get current to flow through the high resistance of a body with only 12-14 volts potential. I suppose if you stuck your tongue across a couple of 12 volt wires, you might get a problem, but I test small nine volt radio batteries by sticking my tongue accross the terminals, about the most conductive scenario I can imagine.

There is more risk simply from a physical burn, if the wire shorts or sparks and gets hot.

Now, the ignition system, with it's high voltage, is another story... but virtually all the rest of the power is only 12-14 volts.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't understand the wipper isn't on a diffrent switch than the regular wipers are just wondering as I don't have one

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
InjuredZX3 said:
Do i need to tape up the ends of each wire separately to be safe?
couldnt hurt and prolly a good idea

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh i got a call from insurance today, there going to pay me $9527 and I get to keep the car. They deducted $2273 from $11800 for me wanting to keep the car. I still wanna drive this car, it has sentimental value, hehe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts