Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I changed mine around 60k but chopped it in half afterwards and I think I shouldve done it sooner. I should've taken pictures, but it was my first time and I spaced on doing that... oops. I see you have an 06 but on my 04 its on the passengers side (if you had to pick a side, its kinda in the middle) and by the gas tank.

Ok I'm done babbling =)

make sure you pay attention to which way the filter was in there so you dont put it in backwards

The way I did it was:

1. Remove fuel pump fuse and run car for a little bit. It will start to sputter and then die(this gets the fuel out of the lines so it doesnt end up in your face)

2. Climb under the car (make sure its secure) and locate the filter.

3. If you shine a light up you will see either one or two bolts holding it up to the car body, remove those so its dropped down a bit and easier to work with.

4. Use a screw driver to pop the tabs that hold the hoses onto the filter(some gas will come out so watch your face, I made that mistake)

5. Pull the filter out and remove the "U" shaped clamp thingy from it and place the new one in the clamp.

6. Climb back under and plug the hoses back in, and then bolt it back up.

7. If you hadn't put the fuse back in, go for it.

This is the first time I have explained something like this on here so if I left out details maybe somebody can fill it in a bit. =)

Hope I helped!

EDIT: And if you have trouble with getting the hoses off (I did) pop one tab up, stick a tooth pick under the tab, and then pop the other side.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Take it easy with those clips, theyre tricky and snap easy.

Get ready for fuel to dump out even if youve pulled the fuse

Having done it on a zetec and a duratec, the dura is a bit harder (because of the bigger gas tank?). theres not much space there.

I did mine at 45kish, but probably shouldve done it sooner

·
Haterz gonna Hate
2,156 Posts
haha i never even pulled the fuse :p just pulled the line off the side of the filter that leads to the engine :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys that helps! Also, I should probably start a new thread for this but whatever.... do focus's have cabin air filters?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dont THINK they come with one usually but they have a spot for one. I will find the link I remember reading this info at if I can.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
DO NOT REMOVE THE WHITE CLIP FROM THE FUEL LINE!!!!!!!

Yes, on older Fords with the fingernail clip that's what you did, but not on these. If you do that you run the chance of breaking the clip. Fortunately, Wix filters come with the new clips. I have a collection of clips because you don't need to break them by removing them. Unfortunately, people are slow to change. I've been on this site for 6 years now, and people are still breaking the clips. Back before fuel filter makers starting putting the new style clips in the box- it was really a problem. Ford didn't sell the clips separately because if you do it correctly- the clips don't break.

Are you ready to know how to do it correctly?

It's easy, press on the flat white side of the clip with your thumb. You basically end up crushing the end of the line- but it's made to do that. Pull and remove. It's that easy.

Repeat after me- press on the flat white part of the clip with your thumb, and pull. You will hear a click when the clip is released.

Now one of those clips is turned around so you can't get your thumb on it. It's the input side of the fuel filter. Trace the line going back to the fuel tank, and you'll see Ford put a short section of line- like 6" long- with the clip at the end of that facing where you can easily reach it. Remove that line. Once you have the fuel filter and bracket off the vehicle, you can easily remove the short section of line.

Did everyone get that- don't remove the clip. Press on the flat white side, and it will release. Put your fuel line clips somewhere in your tool box. Some day you might need one. I have not needed one in 6 fuel filter changes. I'm sorry if I was a bit rude, but it's a pet peeve. Maybe there's a manual out there that is telling people to do this, but if so- get a Helms manual.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
OH finally, removing the fuel pump fuse is not the Ford recommended method of discharging the fuel system. I've tried it both ways, and sometimes the engine will run very roughly with the fuel pump fuse removed.

The Ford recommended method is to remove the passenger side kick panel, and unplug the fuel cutoff switch. Then start the engine. It might sputter, but it shouldn't start. It's really not that much more difficult to do. There are 2 long plastic screws to remove to get the kick panel off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Obviously he has his crap down so you should listen to him. I've only changed an 04 and 05 with my method so yeah sorry I guess.

Sent from my rooted HTC Incredible

·
Registered
104 Posts
And to whynot, good info, last post of mine wasn't meant to sound rude but it kinda came out that way. I think you did a great job explaining, and your way is how I actually did mine too. I just suck at explaining details. Basically I popped it loose but didn't remove it, if that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Sent from my rooted HTC Incredible

·
Registered
659 Posts
I let the car sit for a few hours or over night then there is no fuel preasure in the lines.It still will leak gas out when you disconnect the line but not spray it out.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
And to whynot, good info, last post of mine wasn't meant to sound rude but it kinda came out that way.
I'm not that easily offended. I wonder why anyone is offended at text on the internet, but there are people out there who are.

I guess it doesn't really matter as much now that the correct clips come with Wix filters, and possibly some others. When you try to take the clips out, they break, and must be replaced. If you don't take the clips out, and simply press on the flat white side pushing the clip into the connector- then nothing breaks. It's so simple that people screw it up.

As far as leaving the car overnight before changing the fuel filter- that will work if you have some injector leaks or a weak/old pump that allows pressure to bleed back. Ford doesn't recommend that because if everything is working perfectly you will still have enough high pressure cause you difficulty in removing the clips, and fuel could spray out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Noobie here - can someone please let me know where the fuel cutoff is on the 2008 model year? I have ~48,000 miles on my car and I'm thinking it's more than past time to change it. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts