Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im a complete beginner with cars, but im really keen to learn!

my focus is up for a minor service and i really want to give it a go myself

i know i wont get my book stamped, but i dont care as im going to keep the car for a good few years and the mileage will be too high to sell for a good price!

so basically could anyone tell me a quick how to on changing draining the oil and changing the filter?

ive checked the air filter and cleaned that, is there anyting else that needs to be done?

·
Registered
574 Posts
jack the car up...making sure to chuck the rear wheels...then grap a oil pan or something to put the old oil in...unscrew the oil pan plug and let the old oil drain out... i take the oil cap off the top of the motor just for kicks and giggles but i dont think it helps with the flow...after i would say 5 mins i screw the plug back in the oil pan...then if u look up and to the right (if u r laying on ur back) the oil filter will be up there and and just twist it to the left for it to come off...when putting the new oil filter on rub some of the old oil on the new seal of the new oil fliter... then making sure everything it tight under the car pure new oil in the motor....then ur done...i always check to make sure all my other Fluids r at good levels and check tire puressure and run the motor to make sure there is no leaks...and ur done...should take u maybe 30 mins for a first time but once u get it done 5 10 mins is all u will need...hope this help u GOOD LUCK[thumb]

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car?

Changing the oil is kinda easy, The oil drain plug is right on the bottom of the pan and
is very easy to find. The oil filter on the other hand is kinda a PITA. It sits right
in the middle of the block and is a little hard to reach (get an oil filter wrench)

Might want to change the fuel filter and/or the spark plugs depending on milage.

BTW [welcome]
if you have any more questions just ask, someone always helps out.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
p.s. with the oil filter, make sure that the car is cool before you do the oil change.. getting the oil filter off when its hot can burn you pretty good... make sure you use jackstands too, or wood blocks, that way if the jack fails, you dont get squished by your car

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was always told that you wanted to change the oil when it's hot so that it ALL comes out. Due to the viscosity when the oil is cold it has a tendency to stay and hang out in some places, not allowing for a "full" oil change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you run your car for about 5 min then the oil heats up enough for it all to flow out but it shouldn't be hot enough to burn you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right, that's all it needs, some warmth so that it's not thick like molases, or 3000 mile old oil.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yes i always run my car just around the block before i change mine.

make sure you drain the oil before taking the filter off! can't believe anyone hasn't said that yet.

and I'm not sure what it's like on the other focus engine's but on the SPI, the oil filer is so fu**in hard to get to! you have to squeeze your arm between two hot tube and then suck it up when the hot oil drips down your arm and into your armpit. the easiest way is just get the filter loose but stop before any leaks out, then take a deep breath and as quick as possible unscrew it then hold it up under there and catch anything that drips in the filter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you all are sayin it's hard to get to the oil filter I guess you guys haven't seen the location of the oil filter on a Duratec. It's a big improvement over my Rangers

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Also, make sure the old gasket from the oil filter comes off with the filter and make sure where the gasket makes contact with the block is cleaned.

No one has said this either, don't forget to add the right amount of oil and check the oil after the car has ran on a level surface. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a couple notes:

Oil filter is way easier to reach on a Duratec.

The oil/filter change will take you more than 30min if it's your first time. My first time took me about 1hr. This is probably because I use the jack that came with the car, not a shop jack.

Don't expect your first oil change to be clean. It will get messy.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My second went worse than my first. i took the plug out too fast and stained the driveway badly. just take your time. DO NOT do this in a hurry. make sure you clear you scheduele for like 2-3 hours so you don't even feel rushed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Couple of notes. Don't overtighten the oil filter or the drain plug. Not sure which engine you have but the 2.0L Zetec is 33 foot pounds on the drain and the 2.3L Duratec is the same (according to the AMS Oil site). Ramps are easier and as stated earlier use jack stands if you have them when jacking...if you don't own a set then buy them. Have some rags or papertowels ready as you will make a mess even with an oil catch pan. Have something to put the used oil into and make sure it's clean as you need to haul the oil to a service station to be recycled. I'm not sure if they have to or not but most stations that change oil will take your used oil. I keep a 5 gallon container around for this purpose so I don't have to haul it off every time. Don't overfill with oil when your refilling. This can be as bad or worse than underfilling. Once you're filled back up and the cap is on, start it up and check for leaks. If you keep your oil receipts and denote the mileage at time of change on the receipt Ford should consider this proof that maintenance was performed should something occur.

Gary

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
03_SPI_sedan said:
yes i always run my car just around the block before i change mine.

make sure you drain the oil before taking the filter off! can't believe anyone hasn't said that yet.
according to walter marcy, that is not neccesary. I PM'd him when he said something about changing the oil filter without changing the oil (synthetic oil lasts twice as long as the filter)

He changes filter often, to prolong the life of the oil I assume.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts