Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like what the title says how do you do a front alighment? is it that tie rod looking thing behind the sway bar? i just wanna do a quick job an not take it to a shop considering i dont have a job.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You do a front alignment by going to a shop and letting the pros do it with their computer and laser racks. Don't do it yourself. You can get a front end align for 50ish bucks...

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
You are correct on adjusting the tierod for the front, but like OandAWOW stated. You need an alignment machine, which means bringing it in. Most places have a warranty on them too. 6 months to a year depending on were you get it done.

Also, you'll prolly need to get a 4wheel alignment. May be a little more.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You can set toe yourself but its not as simple as just running out to the garage and turning the tie rod ends in or out. Any adjustment has to be "precise" and more or less "identical" on both sides. You also need to know where your starting at (toe-in toe-out etc.) so you know where you're going to end up at. In addition, there are few tape measures that measure to hundredths of an inch (needed accuracy).

There are some good books on how to do this (available from most race shops) and what equipment is needed. If you're not willing to commit the time to learning how to do it correctly I suggest you take it to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldn't even attempt to do it yourself. Just bring it in to a shop. I just got a 4 wheel alignment for $60. I'm sure just a front end alignment would be even cheaper if you can get it done. The shop I go to won't even do just a front end alignment though because they say your car will drive down the road crooked. But for $50-60 just bring it in. Your tires will thank you and last longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts