Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's worth the additional expense of retrofitting to get HIDs vs. those Spyder LED projectors (or any brand really).

I know generally that HID is going to be brighter than a comparable LED, but my issue here is how much brighter (if at all) is the retrofit (running something like Morimoto kits w/XB35 or the standard H1 bulb for example) vs. the premade plug and play Spyder kits that already have LEDs built into them?

The cost different is going to be a decent amount:

Spyders: ~$430-500
HID: ~$410 for OEM headlamps (I don't want to use my own stock ones), +$200 for retrofit + $400 for HID parts + $300 (or more) for the installation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe on the st forum there's a thread on this but if I recall correctly the projectors in the spiders are substandard and are also meant for halogen. So based off that id say you're better off doing a retrofit

·
Registered
443 Posts
A retrofit is definitely going to put out more light than a halogen projector. I've researched a retrofit but I'm not comfortable doing it myself and I think it would cost too much to pay someone to do it. I'll probably end up buying a set of halogen projectors and using an upgraded halogen bulb like Osram Silverstar or Philips Extreme Vision.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A retrofit is definitely going to put out more light than a halogen projector. I've researched a retrofit but I'm not comfortable doing it myself and I think it would cost too much to pay someone to do it. I'll probably end up buying a set of halogen projectors and using an upgraded halogen bulb like Osram Silverstar or Philips Extreme Vision.

Contact the lighting firm. They're doing mine now and even with the upgraded projectors the price wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Contact the lighting firm. They're doing mine now and even with the upgraded projectors the price wasn't too bad.
Thanks for the recommendation. Are you having the retro done on your factory headlights? I would ideally like to pick up a set of aftermarket ones so I have my factory ones to go back to in case of any issues.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Are you having the retro done on your factory headlights? I would ideally like to pick up a set of aftermarket ones so I have my factory ones to go back to in case of any issues.

Yes but their original quoted price to me included a new set of oem lights. Give them a shout if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh, took me a second to realize that the company's name is The Lighting Firm. Maybe they might have something that works for me!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Retro fit is so much better. I did both and i am much happier with the retro fit. Removing lenses was not nearly as hard as everyone says.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got the Spyder's now. Having a retro done to my factory headlights at this time. I'll be selling the Spyder's shortly to anyone interested.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes but their original quoted price to me included a new set of oem lights. Give them a shout if you're interested.
Jvs, can you post your lights when done? I took a look at the lighting firm's website and the focus headlights look fantastic. Did you have them set up exactly the same as the model on their website with the two "Mustang bars?"

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jvs, can you post your lights when done? I took a look at the lighting firm's website and the focus headlights look fantastic. Did you have them set up exactly the same as the model on their website with the two "Mustang bars?"

No just had a d2s retrofit and blacked out the reflector. Didn't want all the extra lights

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jvs, that looks really good, and I am interested in doing the same since I already have the echo master DRL. Was the install easy? How is the output compared to stock?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jvs, that looks really good, and I am interested in doing the same since I already have the echo master DRL. Was the install easy? How is the output compared to stock?

Install was simple. Wiring the relay was simple as long as you've done it before. Output compared to stock is literally night and day. I just have to aim them and turn the bulb out warning off. Tonight when I drive with them I'll try to get some pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts