Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm trying to fab up a custom ram air system fed thru a NACA duct on the hood, and i've been trying to figure out how to effectively filter it without killing performance. I know that Password JDM's ram air system for the S2000 uses a filter mounted inside a large oval chamber, and the ram air scoop feeds into this chamber and builds up pressure to feed the cone filter. Does this sound like an effective way to start building my system? I would appreciate any feedback, I really want to start prototyping this kit asap.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Not worth you time. the maybe 1 hp you might see vs the days of mental anguish you've been kicking this around (months from the looks of it though), just doesn't equal out. Then to add to that you're in Alaska, not the warmest place in the world right now, or ever for that matter. It's not like the added "ram air" will even make it to the engine.

Think of it this way, air is entering the cylinder head at roughly 200mph the 60 mph you are traveling will have no effect on the intake air speed or quantity. To have any real effect you'd have to excede the intake air speed to create a true ram air. In reality it's just a buzz word.

Also as long as i found this old thread of yours: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160806

The term "cold air" is often mis-used and confused. What the term means is colder that the short ram version, not necessarily colder than the factory located air box. Remember just because air moving over your arm out the window feels colder than that same air at a stop light, it's actually the same temp. The difference in the feel is the amount of air taking heat from your skin, more air equals greater cooling effect. But if one where to try and use ambient air to cool the same ambient air, nothing would happen. To remove heat one media has to be of a different temp than the other, heat has to be transferred from one media to another. Then there is the added restriction of adding an intercooler to a N/A intake system. The extra intake piping would slow throttle response greatly and make it a PITA.

So, short answer to all your current and previous intake related questions, save money, brain power and time and just do a K&N, ITG, Fram Air Hog, Amsoil, ect washable gauze air filter in the stock air box. Basically the same gains are made from the ~$35 spent vs the $$$ other systems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts