Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would i wire lights into the dome light to have them come on at the same time? Is pulling the headline the only way to run the wires to the floor or is there another way?

·
Registered
365 Posts
what nov173 mentioned might be a sure-fire way, but i hard-wired my radar detector straight into the dome light by just tapping into the + and - wires, so you might be able to do the same. i didn't do anything fancy, just shoved them right in. it works great, too! although, sadly i played with it today and i think i burnt my bulbs.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I replaced my stock antenna with my xm radio antenna on the top of my car. I ran the wire from where the dome lights are to my radio along the edge of the headliner to the trim by the windshield, then down. I didn't have to remove anything except my glove box and head unit.

·
Registered
571 Posts
jmkreege said:
How would i wire lights into the dome light to have them come on at the same time? Is pulling the headline the only way to run the wires to the floor or is there another way?
You can pop the dome light out to get access to the wires rather than pulling the headliner down. If you want to run wires tho, you might want to remove the screws that hold the dome light and the visors to the roof. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Popping out the light is easy. Just insert a nickel or quarter into the gap between the dome and the trim and ease it out.

Don't use a screwdriver. It will scratch up the plastic trim. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know how to remove the dome light lens. Really what I'm asking is how to run the wir efrom the roof to the dash or lower.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why are you trying to tap into those wires? If it is simply to have other lights work when those are working (and not necessary to mess with the wires up in your headliner) then what you should do is just check the fuse panel for the fuse that controls the dome light and once you find it splice into the two wires that the fuse controls. This way you don't have to mess with your headliner and you still get the same effect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought the relay that controlled the dome light was up top for some reason. im trying to mount lights underneath the front seats to illuminate the footwells but only for getting in and out of the car

·
Registered
365 Posts
would that have the effect jmkreege's looking for? cuz i'm thinking about doing the same thing. and how exactly do you tap into the fuses? (will search now...)

·
Registered
352 Posts
The dome light is controlled by the GEM module...you could tap into that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
GEM?

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
yea, you might not wanna tap into the fuse, i recently put a new led into my dome light and fried the fuse the first time. This is not the problem, the problem is that the same fuse that controls the dome light and the maps lights also controls the side rearview mirrors, so not sure if it would mess things up with those, like you might be trying to adjust your mirrors and your lights might be going on lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
GEM is the module that controls the door locks and some other stuff...it's behind the glove box...atleast on my SVT. And I'm pretty sure it's called the GEM I'll see if I can find a bit of info about it

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wire my cold cathode to my dome light and it works fine,, but i have an ZX3 i dunno if the SVT is different ..

Hope this helps

Remove using a small flat screw driver or a nickel

Then pull out with hand

attach wire to bulb, then run the wire where ever you want

·
Registered
365 Posts
and that makes it come on and off with the door/dome, doesn't it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes.. now the light will be control by the dome light switch . so if you have the switch to turn on when doors open so will be the neon light or what ever you hook up to this

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How did you run your wires to the floor after that then? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
just run them along the top to the A pillar and then down to where you want them. that's what i think i'll do, at least!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you think you'll be able to run the wires down the inside of the a pillar without pulling the headliner?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts