Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light was on due to the fact that the air intake pipe was not clamped to the intake on the engine. It was an aftermarket stainless pipe and was all rigged up! I got the factory air box at the salvage yard and installed it. I think the light was on due to the fact that the air being sucked into the car was no going through the mass air flow sensor. After fixing this I disconnected the battery to clear the light and since then I have put 150 miles on the car and while getting it inspected i had to get an emissions test. It will not pass emissions due to the fact that the code for the evap and catalytic converter have not been set? How long does it take to get a good reading on the obd2?

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
Evap, and Cat monitors take the longest to reset. The only thing you can do, is drive it. For those two monitors, drive at a steady 55ish MPH for 5 min. You can have the codes checked for free at most part stores, and some repair shops. If they read a P1000 code, it's still not ready to run the emissions test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had it checked at the inspection station twice and it is still not ready even with 150 miles on it since the battery disconnect. I will try the 55ish 5 min and see if that helps. The shop said I may just want to throw a cat on it.?? From what I heard they are not something you just throw on for fun cause they aren't cheap from what ive hears but I have not priced them.

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
Are they saying it's not ready to test, or it still has other issues, and won't pass? If it's not ready to test, and they are telling you to put a cat on it, you should go somewhere else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah they are saying it has two evap and cat that are not ready yet and he said if it does not set soon I should put a cat on it. I was thinking that is a bit of jumping the gun.

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
It needs to have a 1/4, to 3/4 tank of gas. There are a few other specs the PCM needs to see too, outside temp, coolant temp, etc... If these parameters aren't met, it will never run the monitors.

Not sure how it works in your state, but in PA your car will pass with one monitor that hasn't run. They are jumping the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts