Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new transmission and want to know what kind i need to get or model.

car specs: 2003 Zx5 with a 2.3 L duratec pzev engine.

if you guys could say how or what kind of transmission I need that would be great. And any tips or advice.

thank you.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
It's called an MTX-75, the important part is that in NEEDS to be out of a duretec engine car - different bellhousing for the earlier zetecs.

Anything for 2.3 or 2.0 duratec will work, MkIII isn't a good candidate because of different shift linkage to swap out for a match on top. (MkIII guys have used earlier trans with swapped linkage)

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Is this the same OP who shortly back was having troubles with an AUTOMATIC trans????

You do NOT want to put an MTX-75 in place of that with your skills.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's called an MTX-75, the important part is that in NEEDS to be out of a duretec engine car - different bellhousing for the earlier zetecs.

Anything for 2.3 or 2.0 duratec will work, MkIII isn't a good candidate because of different shift linkage to swap out for a match on top. (MkIII guys have used earlier trans with swapped linkage)
Wow they have been using the same transmission essentially in the MkIII transmission. That is pretty amazing testament to that gearbox.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Thank you.

Next time I'll let you wander in a daze to get wrong trans. It would serve you right.

At this point you have no skills so 'what are they?' is an unanswerable question as far as you are concerned. You should ask ones that do you some good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like to consult people with experience before I go out and do something with my car. So I thought what a better place to do that than here.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Good idea, wish I could give more advice than duratec type for sure to bolt in.

There were some later ones with different final gears IIRC, not sure on other changes myself. I'd GUESS '03-'04 for the 2.3 were all the same, after that not so sure.

Ease up AMC, I didn't check back to the original thread yet on trans troubles you must have seen/posted in - let it lie now, OK?

Engine & Trans Swap might have more info., not a lot in here on direct replacements of automatics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

Next time I'll let you wander in a daze to get wrong trans. It would serve you right.

At this point you have no skills so 'what are they?' is an unanswerable question as far as you are concerned. You should ask ones that do you some good.
haha, whats your deal?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
The rule still holds here, for the best correct choice you pick the exact year, model and engine to be correct with trans, they make small to more than small changes all the time.

I DID ease up. I deleted what I would have posted.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Nope, not when it comes to ATX, people want to cast as wide a net as they can and I understand that but not wise at all on ATX in this day and time. Too much time and effort goes into changing a trans and even the lack of matching software updates for minor running changes can kill you. Later PCM software used with earlier trans could possibly even break it in a worst case scenario. That happened on Contours (CD4E) when they modded solenoids to be different running voltages out of the blue. That trans got modded like every 6 months because they tore them up on a regular basis because of crap design issues. Mine in '98 had like 3 different mods done on it that year alone. What kills me is that the mods would have had to be much more expensive than the actual cure to the problem there but Ford seemed to have jumped right over that issue. In fact they did it for years. Go figure. More of the planned car obsolescence is the best thing that fits there and ya'll have certainly heard more than enough from me about that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts