Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Selectshift Auto Trans in my 2012 Focus and can't figure out when I'm in Overdrive or not. The book says to hit a button on the shifter.
I have the +/- button on the shifter for when I'm in Sport Mode. Can't find the button that puts me in or out of overdrive.

Help!

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is no overdrive that I know of. I have the same trans. and when in Sport mod. you just tap that switch and it will show up on the dash as to what gear you are in. It's a 6 speed trans. and once in 6th. gear that's the highest you can go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what it appears to be. Someone just told me that if I want to be in overdrive,
driving in "D" will ALWAYS be in the automatic overdrive mode.

And that if I want to get out of auto o/d, I should shift to "S" mode, and then once I get up to 6th gear, hit the "-" on the +/- button, which would bring it down to 5th, and out of overdrive.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I've been told sounds logical, but let's say I decide to tow a (very) small boat. I would then have to start driving, getting it up to 6th gear, and then back it down to 5th by hitting the "-"
button.

Sounds like a chore just to get the darn car out of overdrive.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Drive will always shift to the highest gear for fuel economy. The top two gears are overdrive, although the ratios escape me at the moment.

Sport mode disables 6th gear, but still allows 5th gear. This is still an overdrive gear, and still gives decent economy at non highway speeds (and doesn't do TOO bad on the highway, either). If manually selecting gears in sport mode you can select any gear you wish (including 6th), assuming the computer lets you to avoid stalling.

If you don't want OD for whatever reason (pulling a load, steep inclines, whatever) I would manually select the gears, assuming you're able to know which gear you need to be in. Sport mode would work better then drive, but still upshifts to the highest gear when possible, which may not be desirable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joeywhat, so to repeat, when towing or going up a steep incline, I should drive in Sport mode rather than in D. Correct?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sport mode would work better then drive, but still upshifts to the highest gear when possible, which may not be desirable

What I found is if you start in Sport mod. and tap the - on the switch it will start in first gear and stay there until you tap the + button and move up a gear. It will work that way until you shift it back the drive. At least that's the way mine works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any gear less than a 1:1 ratio is an overdriven gear. Isn't this right?

In my old Protege5 5-speed manual, 4th gear had a ratio of 1:0.97 - so I had overdrive in 4th and 5th which helped fuel economy.

Anyone know the gear ratios in the PowerShift 6spd?

·
Registered
411 Posts
So if you were to tow something or go up a steep incline, would you do it in Sport mode?
I used it a couple times when hauling 30 pcs of sod in the back of the car. It was a heavy load and allowed me to get the rpm's up before shifting into another gear. Once I got moving in 3rd. gear I bumped it up to drive. To answer your question I would say yes. I plan on getting a hitch so I can use my 5'x8' utility trailer and when towing I'll be using it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even if the car is in drive it will shift into 5th if it needs more power, the new 6 speed tranny's dont have an "overdrive gear" just the sixth gear. An overdriven gear is usually a gear which is activated when your torque converter would lock up, but the new 6 speeds dont have tourque converters. therefore no overdrive. As for towing... buy a truck

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Even if the car is in drive it will shift into 5th if it needs more power, the new 6 speed tranny's dont have an "overdrive gear" just the sixth gear. An overdriven gear is usually a gear which is activated when your torque converter would lock up, but the new 6 speeds dont have tourque converters. therefore no overdrive. As for towing... buy a truck

Posted via FF Mobile Yup, overdrive really is just another gear basically. In cars without select shift you have an overdrive button, but turning it off just stops you from going into 6th. With the select shift in S mode 6th gear is disabled. So essential, D is overdrive on, S is overdrive off, if we talking overdrive. S drive does change the shift pattern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts