Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! My 02 ZX3 only has 27.xxx miles on it and it has developed a knock when I come to a stop. The engine idles down right before I think it will die then bumps back up to normal RPM's. I'm running with an AEM short ram and a TruBendz 2.5" Flow Master exhaust kit. Any ideas on how to keep the engine from knocking/bottoming out on the RPM's??? Was thinking of replacing the plugs and running some injector cleaner to see if that helps. Also thought about getting new wires. Thanks!

Also, I am seriously considering getting a race header for the car. Besides the header and flexpipe, is there anything I need to get? And do I have to run wil the MIL eliminator? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pull out the spark plugs and check them to see there condition. As far as the plud wires go, if you have a DVOM (you could pick up a cheap one for like $10 at Walmart) pull the wires and check the resistance through the wires. If the resistance is high or open then they need replaced otherwise they should be fine. As far as the injector cleaner that couldn't hurt anything, also check the thottle body to check for build-up around the throttle plate. Injector cleaner or any cleaner that will clean up the valves and pistons a bit will also help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny, I was just playing with this one today on my '01 zts. I had a trouble code 171 for lean condition.
Any trouble codes (check engine light)?
Anyway, I bypassed the dealer this time and replaced the DPFE sensor as many here have had trouble with this sensor ($50 or so @ dealer, easy to replace).
So far so good, much less knocking which I was getting especially @ idle in drive or reverse with A/C on while steering etc, etc.......
I am a big believer in fuel system cleaners to keep from having to rebuild injectors, though I have never been able to stop knocks with any, believe me I've tried!
Also, do the PCV valve if you havn't, it's cheap and easy to get at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts