Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice from both my driving experiences and from the dyno's that the duratec 2.3 does not rev very highly and the majority of the power is in the middle. Is there some way to sacrifice some of the low to mid torque to give me some free revving horsepower? What mods would I need to accomplish this kind of task?

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you really want to do that I would suggest a cossie intake manifold and/ or some stage two cams

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
does the intake mani really help on the top end? and so like how many hp?

i know it might depend on the mods, but lets say just I/H/E/SCT

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The Cossie intake manifold is definately a must for high end power. The short trumpets allow for higher peak HP. How much, well, its hard to say.

But add in a race header, and some nice cams, and you will be breathing nicely at the higher RPM.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cossie intake manifold, race header, cams and a tune? HMMMmmm...I'ma need to make some more money :-D How much labor time are we talking about to complete all these modifications?

·
Registered
527 Posts
the cams are the only thing you mite have to pay for labor on. everything else is just simple hand tools.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Egz said:
The Cossie intake manifold is definately a must for high end power. The short trumpets allow for higher peak HP. How much, well, its hard to say.

But add in a race header, and some nice cams, and you will be breathing nicely at the higher RPM.
I got 176whp and 140wtq with my old Cosworth L2 set up [thumb]

·
Random Guy #31
1,861 Posts
my car was pretty quick off the line..... then i added the Cossie Intake Manifold... lost low end tourque but it made up for it high end.... its deffinatley noticeable.... i have some good breathing mods.... im just waiting for some cams.... and motor mounts.... also make sure you get a tune for all that stuff..... really helps a lot also..

·
Registered
16 Posts
^^Cams will help a lot. It'll make up for the lost of low end tq. When I had Cosworth L1, it did not feel quick off the line, but L2 change all that... You'll have lots of fun once you get the cams in there.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
so after my header and tune cams should be the next mod??? I don't think that the intake manifold is worth the 700 bucks unless I can find one used.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The header makes a huge improvement on topend. The stock manicat might as well have a big potato built into it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
jesus how do all you people get intake manifolds and headers and stuff...doesnt all that make you fail emissions?? how do you all get inspections.... i know most of the headers dont come with cats and my local shop laughed when i wanted them to take off my cat for an offroad event.....let alone get them to put on a high flow header with no cat..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i dont know about you but i'd be scared shitless working on my exhaust on my car that is just supported by jackstands....i probably couldnt even get under it

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to find somebody who has a shop I could use...Maybe I could go to my high school and use their shop...I am shop class certified! I have a certificate of completion and everything ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
haha big bud chugger that is awesome
i was born in a state without emissions laws, so i guess i am just lucky i dont have to move.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts