Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Silver 2008 Focus SES, it has 78,000 miles on it, and gets about 31 mpg...is there any way i can alter anything on my car to make it get better gas mileage? All my miles are highway miles, and I just cant figure out why my mileage isnt better. I use Shell gas station v-power fuel, its got fuel injector cleaner and everything in it. ahhhhh! someone please help me!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Outside of driving habits, your tires, wheels, and what you're hauling will all have an impact on your fuel efficiency. There's a thread in this subforum which goes through some of the different MPG boosts members have attempted with their second gen cars.

The thread can be found here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269506

·
Registered
676 Posts
Empty the trunk, don't floor it alot, do more highway driving. I get 34.5 average commuting on IL tollway, speeds bewteen 45 and 75.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Tires are probably the biggest one for me. with stock (S) 15" steel wheels and 195/60R15's I could easily get around 35mpg per take average, now with my lightweight 17X7.5's and 215/45R17's Im getting closer to 31mpg per tank average. The only difference was the tire width and the fact the the center of mass has been moved out further, taking more power to move the same difference. Both tire/wheel packages weighed the same!
A smaller tire with less contact surface will create less rolling resistance.
Good luck, we already get way better mileage then the 1st gen guys!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a 2008 SES with 41,000 miles on it. I assume it has the original spark plugs in it. As an SES, it has 205/50-16 tires, I put 36 psi in the front and the recommended 34 in the rear.I've added a K&N panel filter in the original airbox and switched to Mobil 1 5W-20. I am careul to not carry unnecessary items and use the cruise control. I now have 71,000 miles on it. I have never gotten less than 32 mpg and am currently getting around 34 (AC is off now). I'm giving some credit to the synthetic oil and K&N filter, as I have a 1999 F-150 EPA rated at 19 and still get 19 something at 189,000 miles with Mobil1 and a K&N filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had similar problem with my 2010 SES. Found if I turned off the defroster and defroster floor mix it improved my gas from 29/30 MPG to mid-30s. The AC kills the mileage and its auto on when the defrost is on. I bought the car 2 months ago and have wrestled with the gas mileage since I got it. Love the car but I hoped for better MPG.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You guys with the 15 inch wheels are also running a different diff ratio.

My 08 on the factory 16's gets around 38 in the summer and 31-33 in the winter. Stupid winter fuel.
i usually keep my car empty but i have found it does better with a passenger.

A heavy car will use more fuel to accelerate but has more mass to keep it rolling farther.

I try to keep my tires at around 40psi and my driving style is over-enthusiastic. Im here in michigan around 600-800 feet above sealevel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts