Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never done it and i bought the prestone kit which i been reading that i dont need it but idk how to do it so if someone could chime in and explain to me how to do it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont i need to fill it with water and let it flush it self till it comes clear??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what type of coolant did you use? does it really make a differance draining the old coolant?

also how much does the ford coolant "yellow" cost

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^its like 20 bucks a gallon...Iono that it made any kind of difference...but I felt better about driving my car afterwards LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dam thats like twice any other brand price lol so it takes around 2 gallons not even that right?

is there gonna be any coolant bleeding involve?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Hey Jack. I haven't checked the manual but what is the recommendation to change the radiator fluid? I'm at 80k now and I don't have any heating problems.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^^shit I think the manual says to change it at 100k...I just got it outta the way...probally had an extra couple bucks and just flushed it...im at 118k now and I did this about 20k ago.

and Rocsvt...mine only took just a tad more than a gallon.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
umm gotta go pick some antifreeze then...also would there be a problem if i switch the t stat for a 180'??i dont have a tune if that matters.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Prestone Radiator Flush Safe?

on the bottom right of the radiator (driver side) there is a drain plug
I drained my SVT cooling system and only got maybe a gallon of brown liquid. Does opening the drain plug completely clear the system or does the thermostat prevent engine-side coolant from getting out?

Also, I put in a container of Prestone Radiator Flush this morning (and topped up with water). Now I can't get back in the garage to flush the flush. Will it harm the cooling system to leave the Prestone Flush in overnight?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I will not worry about leaving the flush overnight. You really should only run the engine like 20 minutes min with that inside. That is what the instructions say.

Also let the car heatup a little to normal operation that way the thermostat will open

and now you have access to the other coolant side.

Then let it cool down and buy a kit from Autozone that you can actually install in one of

the heater hoses and connect your garden hose and let it flow until from the radiator

the water come's out looking clear.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**please let it cool down before runnign cold water as you can warp the heads..[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will not worry about leaving the flush overnight. You really should only run the engine like 20 minutes min with that inside. That is what the instructions say.

Also let the car heatup a little to normal operation that way the thermostat will open

and now you have access to the other coolant side.

Then let it cool down and buy a kit from Autozone that you can actually install in one of

the heater hoses and connect your garden hose and let it flow until from the radiator

the water come's out looking clear.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**please let it cool down before runnign cold water as you can warp the heads..[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*
Getting ready to do mine. It's got 80k miles, so I guess it's time. I usually use one of those kits, but I'm not sure which hose to put that on, the heater hose going to the overflow tank? They recommend the hose coming from the firewall which is near impossible to get to. Also, did you remove the upper hose to flush it from? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Alright let me get this straight, if I am going to flush the cooling system and run distilled water and some water wetter, I basically need to open the drain on the bottom after the car gets hot and is still running and add the warm not "ice cold" water into the coolant overflow/resivoir>sp? and wait till the drain is flowing the water clear?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts