Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a way to be driving and have only the fog lights on (no low beams, no parking lights).

Is this possible? The closest that I've come to this is low beams off but parking lights on.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As far as I know, without modification of some sort, there is no way to get just the fog lamps to turn on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Take out all the bulbs that you don't want lit.

(Then the next forum post will be: "How do I turn off the 'bulb out' warning in the display?")

·
Registered
313 Posts
In older fords for this to happen you had to remove the fog light relay and jump 2 of the terminals. If it works on the 2012 but not the 2014 I would imagine that the relay or the switch has changed between those years.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
'11 was the last year that turning on the fogs wasn't a "BCM" function that required programming just to enable it.

haven't seen a 'hack" for fog lights alone yet.

Not a lot of point to doing so, in most areas it's still likely to be illegal to drive that way even if not enforced much since the advent of DRL's.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm trying to figure out a way to be driving and have only the fog lights on (no low beams, no parking lights).

Is this possible? The closest that I've come to this is low beams off but parking lights on.
You can wire them directly to a relay, basically bypassing the "built in" fog switch and bcm. The switch won't work anymore, but they will always be on. Check this thread for more info:

Constant On Foglights

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It's the law.

... in most areas it's still likely to be illegal to drive that way even if not enforced much since the advent of DRL's.
Correct.

State of California 2014 Motor Vehicle Code

Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dang, another law that varies between states.

I was PO'd back in '97 when the Dealer installed Honda accessory Fogs for the Wife's Civic only worked with the headlights, apparently that was to be in compliance with CA code. Here the rule was to have the running lights on whenever headlights (including Fogs) were in use.

For extreme Fog/Snow being able to use Fogs with running lights is the advantage I'd purchased them for, not much assistance paired with the low beams by comparison.

OP in this thread found a way to do that (Fogs w/running lights) so he's set for those conditions. Headlights should still be turned on once out of those extreme conditions for better visibility, both for the driver & other vehicles.

IMHO, whether you're using DRL's or Fog lights it's silly to consider them adequate for reduced visibility conditions or to claim they satisfy "headlights on when using wipers" type rules. Having the running lights on for increased visibility of your car from the rear & sides can be just as important as being seen from the front.

Extra lighting when not required for conditions is OK as far as I'm concerned, as long as it isn't of a type likely to be confusing to other drivers. I don't like the triple light setup used on some Motorcycles for example when aimed poorly. When all that's seen is the pair of narrowly set driving lights because they're MUCH brighter than the headlight, the Bike looks like a car that's far away in the daytime. Vehicles often pull out too close in front of a Cycle in such cases, since a quick glance LOOKS like they're pulling out safely in front of an oncoming car that's far away.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
There is no need for a re-wire, the second reply had it right. You put on your parking lights and press the fog light button. I run with just my fogs and running lights during gloomy days when headlights are not necessary.

Attachments

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I may have already said this elsewhere, but your car is beautiful!
Thank you I appreciate it! You might like my build thread if you haven't checked it out yet. I just now realized that the OP was asking how to turn on fog lights without using the parking lights. Whoops I feel dumb haha [duh]. I don't see why you wouldn't want your parking lights on? I think the car looks nice with them on anyways.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP in this thread found a way to do that (Fogs w/running lights) so he's set for those conditions. Headlights should still be turned on once out of those extreme conditions for better visibility, both for the driver & other vehicles.

Extra lighting when not required for conditions is OK as far as I'm concerned, as long as it isn't of a type likely to be confusing to other drivers.
This is it. My conditions here in California are wonderful; I only want the fogs on to provide additional front lighting so cars ahead of me will notice me. I don't have DRLs, but I do have LED fog lights so I'm definitely going to be noticed.

Why would anybody want to drive with just the fog lights only?
I should have clarified, but if it wasn't obvious, I would only be using the "fog only" during the day in good driving conditions (which is about 98% of all the days in a year in my location).

It will also spare use on my HID setup when the retrofit is completed, but I can still alert drivers ahead of me to my presence. Since I opted to save the cost of adding DRLs, especially considering the bunch of complaints on here with DRL functionality, I thought LED fogs would be a good alternate.

I don't see why you wouldn't want your parking lights on? I think the car looks nice with them on anyways.
Just seemed out of place to me to have those lights on all the time. Nothing wrong with having them on, except for burning those bulbs (that arguably are meant to be on all the time), but nothing too serious except looks.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Why would anybody want to drive with just the fog lights only?
because its a clean look for DRL compliance.

too bad its not as easy as the MK1.

i even went a step further and rewired the whole front end to make my fog lights my DRL and turn signals, removing the parking lights, putting in a euro grill. The trick part is that the fog lights still work as fogs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are DRL's a requirement somewhere I'm not aware of?

Our Civic has them and folks pull out in front of you like you have a magnet on your car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts