Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, here's a little story i thought i'd share to my fellow SVTer's out there...sit down, and grab a bowl a popcorn...maybe someone out there can tell me how to cope with this traumatic experience...

well, one day, on my way back from a friend's house, i pull up next to this red focus sitting at a stop light. it's alright, i guess...it's red, a ZX3; an old asian man is driving it. "cool man," i thought to myself. well, we're sitting there, and all of a sudden, he REVS on me. "hrm...a mistake?" i think to myself...not likely. he does it again. i glance over at him, and notice is is mockingly staring at me back. "wutthe...?" well...i didnt think much of it...maybe he's just looking at my car too...

...wishful thinking...

well, the light turns green, and he takes off in a cloud of smoke. "WOW," i yelled, and being the dumb teenager i am, i take off as well. "it's just a regular ZX3," i said to myself. "it's no problem." well, i finally catch up to the old man...and i notice something quite odd...

...he was WAITING for me...

"huh?!" i couldnt help but wonder..."wat was this guy THINKING?!" then, the impossible became possible. he glanced over at me, and gave me a look that your elders give u when u try ur best at something, but fail miserably. it's that look of "aww...how cute. u tried, but u failed. THIS is how it's done..." ya, u know the look. it was THAT kind of look. and then...

...he pulled on me...

...and in a matter of seconds, he was gone. now, dont get me wrong; i'm not the best driver in the world, nor am i a pushover: i have wat it takes to hold my own. but to be beaten by man who was old enough to be my grandfather in a car that was basemodel next to my SVT...i was in complete shock. i pulled over to the side of the road and just sat there. a whole half hour. to some, people may say, "eh, it's no biggie..." but to ME, it's a whole different story...my confidence in myself and my car was shot to shit.

the end

...hahaha, ok ok, u can all stop ur laughing now. seriously, i've never been soo....i dunno, HUMILATED before!!! maybe his car was just more modified than mine was? i have a K/N typhoon system, new spark plugs, wires, new ignition system and a diable sport chip with h/r springs. i dunno...maybe it's just me...maybe i need more? how do i deal with this trauma?!?! i think i need a shrink....[:(]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
The standard Focus is nowhere near as quick as the SVTF, I've had both. Sounds like he was boosted or even worse your driving could be to blame. There shoud have been an audible signature to his mods, think back and reflect on wether or not you heard anything strange but cool.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Racing, Rally & Autocross”...
and a diable sport chip
^^^Maybe that's the problem^^^
The SVTF can't be chipped. Do you have a Predator Flasher unit?
From which vendor?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oopsy; ya, that's wat i meant. *my chip* was just flashed with the YRF0. i dunno why i put that in there... i dunno, maybe he was boosted? i sure hope that was it...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Sounds to me like he was boosted.
Could've been using NOS as well.[;)]

As far as all the mods you have, a tune would by far add more power than anything you've done yet.
All told, you're probably at the most, 6-8whp more than stock, with the Typhoon adding the most.
Plugs and ignition maybe added 1-2hp....tops.

Check in the SVT Performance Chat for the Tune Review "sticky", and any discussions you can find related to the Diablo Predator (1turbofocus-tune) or SCT XCal by Hypnotic Illusions (Wayne-tune).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heh; alrighty...thanx...but ya...just the shock of being beaten by someone who could be my grandpa is pretty overwhelming, hahaha. that's how i want to be when i'm a grandpa; rice the new-age teens in their cars in my foci and then womp on em, hehehe...

·
Registered
495 Posts
An NA modded ZX3 is not going to walk on an SVT let alone blow one away --- just won't happen --- especially from a roll ... but if he had some sort of FI then he could walk your car and a lot of others ...
You also said in your mod list that you have a diablo sport chip ... don't you mean a diablo flash tune?

·
Registered
498 Posts
dude an old asian man beat u?? that's my pops, j/k! OLDMAN's fcoi engine was probably modded... cheer up, u'll get ur redemption one day....

·
Registered
190 Posts
not to start up the old SVTF vs PZEV wars again...
but ummm... you got no torque... lots of top end...

That is what I would blame...
The SVTF's are great... once you get past the torque, weight, and heavier rolling stock.

I am going to go hide now... before all the svt fan people come and kill me ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Although the SVT focus is a better all round car, in the performance department but does have its flaws. Its first and second(5th and 6th also) gears are very tall gears, coupled with lack of low end means the base zx3 would probably beat you through 1st and 2nd.The SVT's 3rd and 4th gears are very short gears compared to the others and this is when you should have started gaining on him. If he got ahead of you far enough on the launch or through 1st and 2nd gear, it might be hard to catch up and pass him. Also launching an SVT if the traction control is on will cause you to bog while a base zx3 will just get up and go. Not to mention that the svt focus is a little bit heavier then the ZX3. All in all, it is very possible that he had bolt-ons and beat you but he wouldn't walk you.

The only mods you have that add power would be the computer flash and intake, and figure your maybe 6-8whp over stock. Im not knocking your car or anyother svt focus out their because they are great cars, but it is very possible he could beat you with bolt-ons.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol; ya, i know...to fix wat i said in my first post, i dont know why i put the diablO sport chip...all i have is the YRF0. i'm not one to put down non-SVT's either...i know very well that anything and everything goes when it really comes down to it. I guess it just really shocked me that when i finally DID catch up *between 3rd and 4th*, he STARED at me and then he took off again...i have MAD respect for my elders....[:D]

·
Registered
744 Posts
It never happened, it was all a dream, now open the window signal the kid below and have him buy the BIGGEST turkey he can find.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My zx3 can beat sport bikes. : D ...well older ones...and off the roll through first and half way through second...and its only been two that ive raced.

Also i think you wouldv done better if you were actually ready BEFORE this guy jumped on you. pretty funny story though.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
if the guy was actually revving for a race, I'm willing to bet he had some goodies under the hood...the type of goodies that older men in the prime of their careers can afford.

Basically, you got suckerpunched by a sleeper. FI, I'm sure

Even though you guys with the 2.3L are pretty proud of yourselves, you won't walk an SVT, even with a bad driver, that badly. I drove a 2.3L ZX3 for a 24hr test drive. It was quite peppy, and this was without mods. I know what your engines are capable of, but this "asian guy" had something a little better...

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
He was just testing you, in order to race, you also have to learn how to lose. Not just win. Hey don't sweat it, you should be kinda happy that others are into the Focus, plus it was one of your own, yeah not SVT, but hey it is a Focus still.
I think it's cool. You should have just kept playing and battling then gave him a thumps up and should have giving him our sites name.
Anyway I wouldn't sweat it, it seemed fun to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts