Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to but some wheel cleaner because my car soap and brush can't get them 100% clean, but I don't know what type of wheels I have. I have a stcok 2000 Wagon FoFo. So how can I tell the type of wheels I have?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Either steel or aluminum does a magent stick to them steel.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If they are stock wheels, and they don't have hub caps, they are most likely Aluminium or painted Aluminium.

If they have hub caps, then they are steel wheels with plastic caps.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If they are stock wheels, and they don't have hub caps, they are most likely Aluminium or painted Aluminium.

If they have hub caps, then they are steel wheels with plastic caps.
not always true its 11 years old hubcaps brake get removed you cold also look for rust on them where the wheel weights use to be if thay have not been painted over

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
A picture would help..........
or you can just get some all wheel cleaner from any auto parts store, just get one that's made for painted wheels (less aggressive).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really have a hubcap, but I do have a little bolt cover in the middle. My car is parked across town, so I can't post pics now but I'll probably have some by Saturday.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
It sounds like you have the aluminum wheels, do they look like these...........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely painted aluminum alloy. The first wheel cleaning kit I used for this type was the Griots Wheel Cleaner and it served my purposes well. I had brake dust caked on one of my car's wheels, it was awful. This cut through the dust and created a nice finish. I've also used some Mothers products and Meguiars products although the latter is a touch more abrasive IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts