Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but I I didn't find anything. Plus I don't know what to even search for, but I tried.

Windshields have a rubber piece around the whole thing I'm guessing to keep it attached to the car and seal away the outside world from getting in. The rubber piece I'm talking about near the top of the windshield is popping up. I think it needs to be re-glued or something.

What I'm wondering is, if I can do this myself and what could I use?

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about I can get a picture but I can't until sometime when I get home tonight from work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i believe your talking about either the COWL the 2 BLACK PLASTIC Pieces right under the wipers or the SEAL that holds the Windshield on. Either of them i would not try to fix and just get a new COWL since WATER LEAKS pass that and will ruin your BLOWER MOTOR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A SEAL! I think that's what I'm talking about. What are you talking about the blower motor. The part that is coming off is the top of the windshield right under the anteanna.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was saying the COWL maybe the part your talkin about which lets WATER IN to mess your BLOWER MOTOR up. SO i recommend getting a new one. If its the SEAL then thats part of your WINDSHIELD or it also maybe your WEATHERSTRIP. Best thing to do is get a picture it would help out alot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would take it to a dealer, body shop, or auto glass place and see what they say... if u attempt to fix it u could make it worse

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'm surprised it's not leaking. I'd skip the superglue and have a windshield place reinstall/replacue the seal properly. Superglue might hold the seal down but won't stop any leaking, and leaking can give you all kinds of problems...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
mvhudson said:
I'm surprised it's not leaking. I'd skip the superglue and have a windshield place reinstall/replacue the seal properly. Superglue might hold the seal down but won't stop any leaking, and leaking can give you all kinds of problems...
Thats just a trim piece, the whole windshield is epoxied down the entire perimeter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it's been raining here for the past few days. The first day was pretty heavy rain too. I haven't/never noticed a leak.

Should I go to a dealer or some auto shop to get this fixed? I would much rather do this myself because I don't have time to waste to take it into a shop/dealership unless its on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If it's just a trim piece I think I would try silicone caulk for holding it down, it'll be flexible enough that the heat/weather shouldn't give you any problems...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm not lovin the super glue idea. A glass place could fix it right, and probably fairly quick and cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.

I heard the saying and always liked, "Duct Tape and Super Glue will fix anything!" While it would fix this Duct Tape would look all kinds of stupid and with Super Glue I don't want any leaking to happen if it does.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
windshield is held in by a urethane glue. the trim piece is held in by the same.
take it to a glass shop, its an easy 5 min fix, but itll have to look stupid for a bit with it taped down till the glue sets

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
goinloco1 said:
windshield is held in by a urethane glue. the trim piece is held in by the same.
take it to a glass shop, its an easy 5 min fix, but itll have to look stupid for a bit with it taped down till the glue sets
I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to give the right answer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts