Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was driving earlier today in the streets of Mexico when suddenly I fell into a big hole (of a damaged road) full of water (it rained a little yesterday), I felt a big hit. To add something to my bad luck the hole was on the driver's side of the road, right where the air filter sits. Right after I came out of the hole I slowed down and the car bogged down a little but recovered quickly. I pulled over to check for any visible damage but didn't see anything. The car started just fine but after I continued driving I noticed that everytime I slow down the car bogs and runs like it is choked, and while gaining back speed I have to give it more gas to gain power. It doesn't feel like it is going to stall/die, just like an air leak or something like that. When I'm on speed or just starting from zero the car runs fine, it only does it when I slow down. It was night already so couldn't check for any visible leaks, that's the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow. I also want to check for those none visible air leaks or possible damage to the intake tube, but the only method I know is that of the hose on you ear. Any other suggestions? I really hope is not the MAF sensor or any other worst thing[:(]

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
sorry to hear man. mexico roads are bad still. hope its something simple and can just be tightened back on. CEL come on? something had to come loose though for it to be running like that. and the bogging should be caused from the air intake would be my first guess. i remember when i first put my SRI on i thought i tightened all the clamps and forgot the one that holds tube w/filter and took off for a test drive and it bogged alot, went home and sure enough it had fallen off.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have my car garaged for the day and tomorrow, will get back to it on Tuesday. I really hope is just the cone filter, altought I touched it and feels pretty tight. I don't think enough water went into the intake to damage the maf sensor, but who knows. What I noticed also is that when I start the car on cold it doesn't suck as much air as it used to before. It idles like below 15k rpm, when usually it idled way above that. I just hope for the best.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump...

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vampire bump. I need suggestions....

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
^^ Yep, but that doesn't mean that it's completely fubar.

Try cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner spray, or alcohol and a Q-tip. You have to be careful to clean it with the Q-tip, and you'll need a T15 torx to remove the MAF. You can't put it in wrong, so don't worry about removing it to clean it.

As far as vacuum leaks- there's not any down low that you could've hit by running into a hole.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as vacuum leaks- there's not any down low that you could've hit by running into a hole.
I'll try to clean the maf first, I've just did that like a month ago, but I'll do it again anyways. And about your last sentece, what do you mean exactly? It is important to mention that it was a big-o-hole. Water was on the filter when I pulled over and checked quickly.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, I just became a focus fanatic.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
someone else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts