Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car less than a month and I am finding it really hard to keep this beast below 80mph, it just cruises so well at 75+. I was trying to keep it around 65-70 for gas mileage purposes but it just felt wrong...like hugging your hot cousin for too long. In my old car 80mph felt like the car was gonna shake apart but with the Focus it just feels right...like hugging your friends hot cousin for too long. Also today, for the first time, I down shifted into 3rd to pass a slow-bodanmosovich in the left lane on the freeway and man it pulled hard, I was surprised at the amount of power at around 6000rmps. Also in Texas, 80mph is like 60mph in the rest of the country and something like 300kph* in Canaidia.

*Author knows nothing about Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People in AZ tailgate under 75 anyway it seems, So I have to drive 80 just to stay with traffic lol
Truth. I've driven through AZ and I felt at home on the highways.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
unless you live in pot hole ridden michigan. With the snow and the potholes in the road and the butter cold, I have barely floored my car since Christmas. Too cold to hook up the tires, and potholes have already eaten two of my tires. This is a very common road in Michigan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drive 150 miles a day all interstate and 75/80 is where she stays. Very smooth. This car does what I ask her. When need that extra boost to pass I am never let down. Like OP says she will pull hard.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...With the snow and the potholes in the road and the butter cold...
I too prefer room temperature butter.

Yeah, no snow in Tejas and we haven't even had a freezing rain that could shut down Houston so its smooth sailing. Also, our awesome Governor "Good Hair" doesn't care about schools but we have really nice Toll roads that are kinda like the Autobahn.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
these cars do have a good amount of power in the high RPM's.

·
Registered
459 Posts
unless you live in pot hole ridden michigan. With the snow and the potholes in the road and the butter cold, I have barely floored my car since Christmas. Too cold to hook up the tires, and potholes have already eaten two of my tires. This is a very common road in Michigan.

Holy cow! I've finally seen a road worse than those in Tucson. We have a LOT of roads that are about 1/2 that damage, and we have no snow. Phoenix roads seem to be a lot nicer....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy cow! I've finally seen a road worse than those in Tucson. We have a LOT of roads that are about 1/2 that damage, and we have no snow. Phoenix roads seem to be a lot nicer....
I have never seen roads that bad before, we have pot holes down here but nothing like that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it is the exact opposite. My last car, 2011 maxima, would cruise at 75-80 with the utmost smoothness. It was pure bliss. This car works so hard anything over 75.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Houston streets strait up suck but they look like smooth parking lots compared to that road. And yea the Toll roads are autobahns, Beltway 8 is the Houston autobahn around here lol

Also you have to do 80mph if you want to get anywhere around here in a decent amount of time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also, our awesome Governor "Good Hair" doesn't care about schools but we have really nice Toll roads that are kinda like the Autobahn.
No, Governor Good Hair retired and wants to be president now. Now we have Governor "Wheels" and he wants to improve the rest of the roads too! [;)]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
not going to lie, I would probably support a gas tax of $0.20 a gallon over a sales tax increase of 2% to help fix our roads in Michigan. I get good gas mileage, so more expensive gas would affect me less than a 2% sales tax increase I think? Toll roads?? I don't know. I personally hate heat and humidity though.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I too prefer room temperature butter.

Yeah, no snow in Tejas and we haven't even had a freezing rain that could shut down Houston so its smooth sailing. Also, our awesome Governor "Good Hair" doesn't care about schools but we have really nice Toll roads that are kinda like the Autobahn.
to be honest lol, I actually prefer my butter cold as opposed to room temperature. Yes I see what you did there, but I really like cold butter on warm bread or the alike.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, Governor Good Hair retired and wants to be president now. Now we have Governor "Wheels" and he wants to improve the rest of the roads too! [;)]
I should have said former Governor Good Hair.

not going to lie, I would probably support a gas tax of $0.20 a gallon over a sales tax increase of 2% to help fix our roads in Michigan. I get good gas mileage, so more expensive gas would affect me less than a 2% sales tax increase I think? Toll roads?? I don't know. I personally hate heat and humidity though.
I hate the heat and humidity too but its the lesser of two evils IMO.

to be honest lol, I actually prefer my butter cold as opposed to room temperature. Yes I see what you did there, but I really like cold butter on warm bread or the alike.
Are you crazy?! Cold butter is impossible to spread...some people just wanna watch the world burn and tear holes in their bread.

·
Registered
382 Posts
How?

When I'm not in a hurry I follow the speed limits. Interstate is 75 mph, most highways here are 55mph or 65mph.

At 55 I average 42 mpg. At 65 I average 36 mpg. At 75 I get 33 mpg. At 80 I get about 30 mpg.

I realize that my time is worth more than what I'm saving in gas but most of my time driving I'm on the clock for work. No need to speed and risk a ticket and higher insurance rates when I'm working at the same time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Tickets and mpg - I keep it at 3 over the speed limit on my commute. I agree its a fun car to drive fast.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its easy to drive less than 80. I usually do 64 in a 65 on my way to and from work. Highway driving is boring, going fast just gets me there 15 seconds earlier. Rather watch the mpg's stay high, and let my motor loaf. And all the secretary's running in packs doing makeup in their corrolla's at 80mph are no fun to run with.
Then when I catch the cars who passed me on a sweeping exit ramp they piss me off when they brake thru the turn and block me.
Go fast in turns, get mpg on the straights.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
To answer the thead title question; it's not worth the points on my license.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts