Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend always brags about his stock 99 ATX Mustang. If my 2001 ATX ZTS with CAI, exhaust, and UDP were to race him, how bad would I actually get beat?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05zx4st said:
im guessing its a v8?? cause if it isnt that you should win if it is though...i dont think you will lose that bad
hmm. u serious?
Its just the normal V6. The poorman's sportscar. Him and some other kid that drives a 199x LeBaron keep makin fun of me for driving a focus. I dont understand why, but I sure cant wait to smoke em.

"Its a family car! Its built to pick up the kids from soccer and get groceries!"

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just pick the nearest onramp to lead them on and watch them dissapear...

"Oh sorry guys, I couldn't see you falling behind back there because of all the groceries..."

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
i would think that you would do purty good against a v6 atx.................maybe even win depending on what u have done to yours

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If its a V6 you could take it, it might be sorta close.

If it was a GT........ dont even bother.

I'm sure someone will get on here and tell us how their 4 door sedan held its own or outrun a GT, with them only have a couiple of bolt- ons.

So I'll go ahead and say it now.. Bullshit!

·
Registered
116 Posts
the new bodystyle mustangs have 190hp. I don't think you'll flat out beat him. Race him anyways though—it'll shut him up. And afterwards point out that your subcompact hung with his sportscar

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I ran against a 1995 or so 5.0 at the strip this weekend and beat him by .15 seconds(15.74 this pass) . My SVT is stock, and alot of the non-SVTs are turning as good or better ET's than I am. My personal best was 15.32 a couple of weeks ago. So much of this relates to driver skill. I think you have a chance to spank him.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have raced to v6 mustangs one was a 97 with a cai but the car is kinda shitty beat ryans car like three times in row, i also raced my other frirend montey he has like 2000 mustang that is a v6 we raced on this big ass straight stretch of road where i live and i beat him off the line only beacuse he sppun to much but it was like dead even till we got to like 85 or 90 and he pulled away a bit but by the time i was going like 95 he was like 1 or 2 cars ahead of me but we had to wuit because cars were coming at us......thats my story and im sticking to it....hope it helps

later

chuck

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
A late 90's V6 Mustang only makes, what, 160 at the wheels? And they have a good 1,000 pounds on a Focus...unless they have some heavy mods done even a stock MTX Focus should be able to at least hang with one.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
It'll be close, but I don't see an atx focus with minimal bolt-ons being able to beat anything with a V6.

Still, I'd go for it, you never know...

·
Registered
588 Posts
In a ZTS auto the mustang v6 will kill you. Even though its slow, its still made to be driven fast unlike the focus.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
dark12 said:
My friend always brags about his stock 99 ATX Mustang. If my 2001 ATX ZTS with CAI, exhaust, and UDP were to race him, how bad would I actually get beat?
The Mustang will most likely beat you because you have the Zetec or SPI or whatever on the other hand if you had a 2.3L you would beat him cause a V6 Mustang is too much car and not enough engine!![thumb]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks alot for the replies. Ill hold off on racing him. He beat my friend that has a WRX wagon (Yes I do think he is the worst driver ever)
If I were to add a supercharger Id crush him no problem though right? I would probably need to upgrade other stuff first though, such as the axles, tranny, and such, right?
I was thinking about upgrading the tranny soon anyway. Should I get another ATX thats geared better for speed? How much would that run me? Or should I just say screw it and save for an svt focus or another car entirely? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about if I were to spend the extra cash and get a turbo? How much of my car would need to be upgraded to be able to handle it?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
For starters you'd need a MTX swap or a Lentech built auto. The 4F27E ATX is notorious for breaking down when you start adding power...hell its not uncommon for them to pop running on a completely stock setup at less than 20,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts