Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Winter is here in Motown. And I have a question. Before the snow hits us, I was hoping that someone would tell me if I was going to need Winter/snow tires! I have a 2003 SVT focus w/contisports.... Has anyone with an 02 gone through the winter yet? I've been pricing winter tires, and WOW they cost a mint!

Do you think I'll be able to make it without them?[???:)]

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Well I tried to drive in the snow last year on my 17s and it was a joke (I got caught with them on before I could change to my 16s). I put the factory 16s on there and I was okay. A friend of mine has a GTi VR6 with even bigger factory 17s and he said his just wanted to ride above the snow and spin too. The narrrower 16s seemed to dig in on my car much better. I believe weight is probably a factor, as well as tire compound and tread design. I have Khumos on my 17s, which is a summer tread (but were fine in the snow on my 93 SHO, and the design is not that much different than the Nitto 450s on my 16s), but the VR6 had an all-season Michilen.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
[rofl]

Don't even think about using those things in the snow. I also got caught in the last storm with my stock wheels on and it was terrible. Even if you manage to get traction and get moving, good luck stopping. The ABS comes alive and you may not be for much longer. If you are going to invest in snow tires, I would recommend Michelin Arctic Alpens from the Tire Rack. I had a set on my jetta and they were great...little noisy on dry ground, but oh well. They will run you about $92/tire (for 16") and Michelin currently has a $40 rebate program when you buy four qualifying tires...with shipping, they are costing me about $350, which isn't bad IMO. 17" snow tires are FAR more expensive, and not worth it as far as I'm concerned. You have to pay to have them mounted and they pay again in the spring to have them taken off and your summer tires put back on. If the shop sucks, they may ruin the bead on the tires, and then you're out of luck. Plus, its good to keep the salt off your good rims[thumb] and have a spare set should you need a full size replacement(s) at some time.

Nick

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of that!

I guess my biggest problem is CA$H right now... I wanted to get some Dunlop Graspic DS-1's they aren't too expensive.... then I was going to get new wheels in the spring to pop the conti's back on. (keeping the SVT rims as my winters.... ) but just to get the snow tires is about 4-5hundred.... damit. I might have to take my chances for a while. I'm trying to save for a wedding and hopefully a new house next year....

Do you know anyone selling a good used/new 16" combo? Or some good/cheap 17" tires I could mount?[:(]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey man, just like essveetee said, don't risk it. Even if there is a little snow, (<1") you won't be going anywhere. It sucks, but there really is no other option in the matter. The conti's have no traction in the white stuff. We ended up getting Arctic Alpins mounted on 16" AR rims (which actually look pretty good) for like 600, that was at NTB. Not cheap, but worth every penny, especially since they will swap tires for free for life.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I def give the michelins a [thumb]

And, as an update, we just more white crap today and I STILL have my Contis on[?|]. I made it home, but damn, its just not worth it...

·
Registered
12 Posts
man, you are really pushing it [:)~] Looking at the snow outside right now, I couldn't imagine going out with those on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, The snow hit this morning! I drove my fiancee's 4x4 Ranger all day... I didn't even want to try the SVT! I guess my Paycheck on Friday is going to snow tires! (I'm going for the cheapest 215/45 17 in order to keep from spending the extra money for a wheel/tire combo!)

Hopefully I won't break the bank too bad!

Any Cheap Recommendations?[???:)]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
wish I could help...the cheapest 17" snow tire I found locally was about $170 a tire. You can get them cheaper on the tire rack, but you will have to pay shipping and mounting fees. Good luck and keep us posted with your choice and how they perform.

Nick

·
Registered
549 Posts
I decided to go with the Bridestone Blizzaks on my stock 17" rims and I just had them installed last night before the snow hit! I also went with my stock tires last year and I found myself in a couple ditches so I decided it was about that time to get some snow tires this year! I recommend the Blizzaks. I didn't slide anywhere in the snow this morning when I was out and about. I couldn't believe how many people I passed on the highway! Last year my dog walked faster than I drove in the snow!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I picked up a set of stock 16" 'ers from a guy off a forum. Paid $172 shipped, which is far less than aftermarket...plus I know they will clear the calipers[thumb]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I called around and WOW tires can be expensive! I finally found a good deal, and got Belle Tire to beat that!

I'm getting them Firday Morning, so hopefully it won't snow again until after that!

I ended up getting the Dunlop Graspic DS-1 on my stock wheels for $105.00 each! I hope that the performance is as good as the $170.00ea and up tires!

Check them out!

Dunlop Graspic DS-1

I'll make sure to tell you all how they ride, once I get them installed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hmm i really don't have a prob driving in snow with mine, i just take my time. but i am planning on a winter tire/rim setup soon...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmmmmmmm... I hope I'm not about to blow over $400.00 for something I don't need?!?! I did get through last winter in a miata... But i had a diffrent job that didn't require me to drive as much. (The miata had to be towed home twice last year because of snow.)[???:)]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Think narrow for snow tires. If possible pick up some stock 15 inch wheels and put some 185/65-15 or nothing wider than the stock 195/60-15 snow tires on them. Yes they'll look dumb but we're talking winter performance here not a beauty pagent. Tires in this size range tend to be cheaper which helps justify the wheel purchase. The larger aspect ratio and softer sidewall improves snow tire grip. Cooper makes a snow tire sold under the name of wintermaster and weathermaster by bunches of companies (Big O, tire rack, sears, etc and Cooper, naturally) These are very decent tires for the money and can be studded if your state permits it). I rallied on them and used them as a gravel tire as well. They have two ply sidewalls which is rare for any auto tire. They'll hold up in potholes battles. If you've got a little more money look at Nokians. They perform as well as Blizzacks (maybe better) and last a whole lot longer for about the same cost. They're made in Finland where they understand snow driving.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
15's are too small for a SVT. It won't fit around the brakes. That is why I am going with my stock 17" rims with Dunlop Graspic DS-1 (see link on page 1 for tire info).

I'll either switch tires back in the spring, or get new rims that fit the old tires.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tires and in! I'm getting them tomorrow morning!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts