Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trunk opened without warning. Last night I conducted a uturn and all of a sudden the trunk popped open.

How could this happen?

Turns out the key fob was in my pocket and the trunk button got pressed. I tested it today when the car is running and the transmission is in drive the fob will still pop the trunk. So monday I will be calling ford. Also I checked the manual and it does not warn that this could happen.

Please everyone check your key fob function and just know its possible. I hope this help others.

Update:
For those who care.

The over sight has been fixed.

The body control module was reprogrammed by adjusting the keyless entry setup.

In the future there will be a TSB on this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You must have the fancy start button.
With the normal key fob it's almost impossible for this to happen because the key is in the ignition. You still need to double click the trunk button. Sometimes less is more.
With the French Cars you have to place the key in the dash before you can drive.
I suggest that you place the key somewhere in the car while driving. Or maybe your car could have a firmware upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The more I hear of problems with various extra features, the more I am glad I only got an SE with a few options.

Those extra bells and whistles may be nice, but then I read here about the what, 1 in 1000 who has an issue, and find peace of mind.

This however is an outright design oversight, hopefully they can rectify that.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
So monday I will be calling ford. Wife is pissed. I am pissed. Also I checked the manual and it does not warn that this could happen
With the hatchback, you cannot open the hatch with the key fob while the car is moving. I assume that the sedan in the same.

What exactly do you disagree with about the operation of the fob / trunk release?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the hatchback, you cannot open the hatch with the key fob while the car is moving. I assume that the sedan in the same.

What exactly do you disagree with about the operation of the fob / trunk release?
Lets see. The vehicle is in motion. I have owned sereval other cars that had trunk releases on the fob and a trunk release on the dash but none of them would allow the trunk to open when the vehicle was in gear. I will get with Ford they need to change that.

Whats the point of being able to keep your keys in your pocket if you have to worry about that. Had I ever thought that might happen I would have planned a head.

·
Registered
781 Posts
in the hatchback you can pop the trunk while the vehicle is in motion with the fob. i've done it (on accident). i've also unlocked the doors.

i've taken to making sure the fob is in my pocket face up. harder to accidentally trigger it with change that way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must have the fancy start button.
With the normal key fob it's almost impossible for this to happen because the key is in the ignition. You still need to double click the trunk button. Sometimes less is more.
With the French Cars you have to place the key in the dash before you can drive.
I suggest that you place the key somewhere in the car while driving. Or maybe your car could have a firmware upgrade in the future.
From this point forward the keys will not be in my pocket. I will check with ford. Tou all keep an eye out for a TSB on this one.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Stop wearing your wife's pants, man. No reason the key should be so tight in your pocket that a button is pressed. Just saying...

This is first and foremost an oversight of your own, not Ford. This is a new car, it's not your old car, and it's not every other car you've driven, which means it won't operate the same.

This is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have unlock switches in the doors, you don't see me complaining. This is the first Ford I've ever owned and didn't know to open the back doors you pull the handle twice, you don't see me complaining.

New car, new features, your mistake, own up to it.

Don't mean to be rude but seriously? Learn your car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The ability to pop the trunk while the car is in gear, none the less in motion, is a design oversight. The implications and dangers posed by this issue certainly outweigh any positives of said function, none of which come to mind.

Those people making judgements and speculating about the fault by way of the OPs wardrobe or other senseless assumptions do so in defense of the car and lacking in objectivity.

Unless of course anybody can come up with a logical reason why popping the hatch while the car is in motion might be a good or safe idea.

I love my car, but am willing to recognize faults where due. This is one of those times.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
The ability to pop the trunk while the car is in gear, none the less in motion, is a design oversight. The implications and dangers posed by this issue certainly outweigh any positives of said function, none of which come to mind.
Well if I am getting chased by gun wielding Russians and I have a hatchback full of tire poppers, that feature could be a real life saver.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get a grip

WTF, On wearing wifes pants. (Learn the car) I read the owners manual for her car because you know most wifes are not going too and there was no mention of the car being setup to do this and o shame on me for not thinking of everything.

The reason for the thread people was to inform everyone else this can happen.

Also the keys are on a key chain with other keys and when you put them in your pocket they can and will push on each other.

Also we traded in a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport and guess what the trunk would not open when the car was in gear no matter what.

Maybe my mistake was taking the time to share with you all what happened. I am not looking for pitty or anything else. [nono]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
in the hatchback you can pop the trunk while the vehicle is in motion with the fob. i've done it (on accident).
Not on my car...

A few weeks ago I reprogrammed the BCM (Body Control Module) and that may have altered the behaviour.

Now I can open the hatch with the fob only when the car is not moving, which seems reasonable to me.

There is no TSB for this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not on my car...

A few weeks ago I reprogrammed the BCM (Body Control Module) and that may have altered the behaviour.

Now I can open the hatch with the fob only when the car is not moving, which seems reasonable to me.

There is no TSB for this.
How did you reprogram it?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
How did you reprogram it?
I have access to the same diagnostic tool (IDS) that is used at a dealer service dept.

It can tell you if there are newer "calibrations" (firmware) for the different modules.

Unfortunately there are no details as to what was changed (unless there is an associated TSB).

If my car behaves differently than someone else's, it's either the firmware or the configuration settings (the BCM has a lot of settings).

I doubt there is a setting for this but I will check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Thanks, I will check with Ford this can't be that hard to fix. Just gotta get with the right tech.
It seems that Ford has already fixed this problem.

I tried this twice after reading your original post. Both times the hatch would not open even at low speeds (I pushed the button many times). Each time I came to a stop, the hatch would open on the first press.

As you said, you just have to get the right tech. He needs to select the "Module Reprogramming" function in IDS and then select BCM.

When was your car built?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts