Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought an automatic 2006 ZX4 SES for my 80 mile a day commute. I'm loving it so far, but I'd really like to get some more power out of it to make my boring drive a little more lively.

What would be the best and preferably cheapest way to get it up to around 200whp? I have never bothered with modding a car before, so I'm a little clueless about where to start. I don't think I'll be doing this myself (very little free time as it is), so knowledge and expertise aren't really a factor. I just want to know what I should buy so I can take it to my mechanic and say, "Do this and this and this."

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh and would I totally [:)][:)][:)][:)] myself out of the warranty if I go through with this?
EDIT2: I bought my car in New York, so I have the PZEV engine, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
well 1st [welcome]

as for as 200whp, it will be kind of hard u will need higher compression, cams stage 2 or maybe 3, headers, intake, bs delete, flywheel, clutch upgrade, exhaust 2.5, and once your on it an intake manifold, and an LSD. u can get all of this and u will be over 200whp, or get a focus sport (FS) turbo.

i have no idea what will be cheaper so its up to you. but i think u should start with an intake. which i think its the best mod ever. i recomend the FS or the F2. then just go from there.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i think that since you bought the car for mpg, that you fulel economy will go down, but you have so many options, it's not evern freak'n crazy research it. you will need forced induction of some kind. you could go al engine, but thats difficult check out focus-power.com

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Especially with that auto and PZEV combination, you are losing a lot of whp/tq through the drivetrain and emissions products. Definately look at an intake, header, exhaust, stg2 cams, tune, throttle body, hi-flow cat, and maybe an upgraded transmission?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Algorhythm said:
Especially with that auto and PZEV combination, you are losing a lot of whp/tq through the drivetrain and emissions products. Definately look at an intake, header, exhaust, stg2 cams, tune, throttle body, hi-flow cat, and maybe an upgraded transmission?
Is it possible to have the emission products easily removed? I don't quite understand why they force this on you when the ST and plenty of other cars are available with higher emissions.

I'm looking into the Cosworth intake and exhaust system for the first mod. Would that be good bang for my buck?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
You could do the F2 or focussport intake and save yourself 150.00 bucks... as for the exhaust... I guess that would be ok but again... you could go with focussport and save a good 100.00 bucks.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
And also before my 06 ST I had an auto PZEV... and with intake and exhaust I easily took civic with VTEC's so that should tell you how these cars react to mods... You got a good car and even though you have an auto... it's not that bad.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
what up Sharon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sharon5384 [/i][B]You could do the F2 or focussport intake and save yourself 150.00 bucks... as for the exhaust... I guess that would be ok but again... you could go with focussport and save a good 100.00 bucks. [/B][/QUOTE] That works too. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sharon5384 said:
And also before my 06 ST I had an auto PZEV... and with intake and exhaust I easily took civic with VTEC's so that should tell you how these cars react to mods... You got a good car and even though you have an auto... it's not that bad.
I only have an auto because about 30 of the 80 miles I drive a day is in stop-and-go traffic. In two years when my insurance premiums plummet I'll get myself a stick to play around with. I bought the Focus because it was the most fun of all the commuter cars I test drove.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Meatsicle said:
Is it possible to have the emission products easily removed? I don't quite understand why they force this on you when the ST and plenty of other cars are available with higher emissions.

I'm looking into the Cosworth intake and exhaust system for the first mod. Would that be good bang for my buck?
Yeah, it's easily done.. but I'm not sure of the NY emissions laws even though I live here.. my old Jetta never passed them.. that's all I know. Hell, my old Jetta never passed anything except stop lights and people. [thumbd]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
welcome to the site and enjoy your car I say FI but thats just me

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
y2kpedo said:
as for as 200whp, it will be kind of hard u will need higher compression, cams stage 2 or maybe 3, headers, intake, bs delete, flywheel, clutch upgrade, exhaust 2.5, and once your on it an intake manifold, and an LSD. u can get all of this and u will be over 200whp, or get a focus sport (FS) turbo.
just to clarify something here.
1. just those mods will not net 200hp with an auto
2. autos have no need for clutch or flywheel
3. i dont think there is an lsd for the atx without serious modification to the tranny
4. an upgraded tranny would probably be needed with that high of hp
5. you would probably be doing yourself a favor if you just got a cat-back exhaust and then turboed it when the turbo kit becomes available. or you could go ahead and get a ecu tune since that can go along with whatever direction you decide to take your car.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
gump1114 said:
3. i dont think there is an lsd for the atx without serious modification to the tranny
5. you would probably be doing yourself a favor if you just got a cat-back exhaust and then turboed it when the turbo kit becomes available. or you could go ahead and get a ecu tune since that can go along with whatever direction you decide to take your car.

wow ur my hero. Obviously i did read clearly that it was an auto. but thanks smartipants

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
y2kpedo said:
wow ur my hero. Obviously i did read clearly that it was an auto. but thanks smartipants
[thumb] just here to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I think I may have overdone it with the 200whp number. I'll just go ahead with the intake and exhaust, see about getting the emissions crap removed, then take things from there.

Thanks for all the great advice.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Generally, when you get an intake and exhaust, the emissions crap IS removed. I'm pretty sure, in NY, you need to keep both cats? One is in the exhaust manifold, one is in the exhaust itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Algorhythm said:
Generally, when you get an intake and exhaust, the emissions crap IS removed. I'm pretty sure, in NY, you need to keep both cats? One is in the exhaust manifold, one is in the exhaust itself.
Oh okay. I guess I'll just talk to the mechanic about it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
y2kpedo said:
well 1st [welcome]

i have no idea what will be cheaper so its up to you. but i think u should start with an intake. which i think its the best mod ever. i recomend the FS or the F2. then just go from there.
how would a bs delete help gain any horsepower??

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
gump1114 said:

although I agree with most of what you said, last time I checked automatic cars have a need for both clutches and a Flywheel. Maybe I am being petty but none the less they do have both. Clutches obviously not in the normal sense of what we are use to but they operate in the same manner ( they are applied, released, and slipped just like their big brother )and they just happen to be small and many. An automatic flywheel is much of the same thing as an MTX flywheel only coupled with a torque converter which effectively raises the weight of the flywheel.

Like I said I am being petty.

As far as bang for the buck.

Nitrous Oxide coupled with adequate fuel system upgrades and bolt ons would be the easiest and most cost effective way to get to 200 whp. This most definatley will destroy the warranty on your powertrain. A reliable 50-75 hp shot can be achieved for under 1000 dollars. You have to plan it and research it. Talk to Wayne or Tom and get a tune for nitrous and you will be able to do alot.

As far as the Cosworth stuff compared to FS and FC. You may pay more but in my opinion Cosworth is the premier producer for aftermarket parts of the 4-cylinder Ford engines. And I would love to have their name add horsepower to my car. You are garunteed good quality parts.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
If you are looking for upgrades for the automatic trannt, lentech and level 10 are the way to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts