Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get my car to idle smoothly!!!

At a stand still it will usually stay at ~700 rpms, but when i am coasting in neutral and sometimes at a stand still it will waver between 600 and 1000, occasionally causing it to stall (when the engine is not at normal operating temp). The wavering idle does not go away after the engine is at normal temp!

It all happenned after I installed my FR stg 2 cams. I have heard these cams can idle roughly, but this is rediculous! [mad]

I have tried so many things.
1) new fuel filter
2) new pcv valve
3) retuned my cams
4) changed my iac about 6k ago
5) new fuel pump 10k ago
6) MAFS is nice and clean
7) plug wires are clean and in good condition
8) I am pretty certain I have no vacuum leaks (definately no leaks @ the TB).
9) new dpfe 10k ago
10) idle screw is set perfectly

I have NO CLUE what this could be, but it doesnt seem to be going away no matter what I do.

All help is GREATLY appreciated!

bartek

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car did the same thing after I installed the race header. It only did it whe the engine was cold. I installed a set of autolite double platinums and a set of ford racing spark plug wires. It seemed to help. I noticed a better response after I removed the O2 cheater.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I don't see a chip on your list of mods.
I think you might need one to set the idle like to ~1000rpm's for those cams.
Dunno.

Someone will step in and set me straight....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked the TPS and it has been working fine for a while, plus i do not have hanging or steadily increasing revs. with my race header I do have a cheater. I do not seem to have any exh leaks either.

i am gonna pick up some motorcraft azfs22c plugs here soon, hopefully that will help. I do not have a chip but i am planning to get the sct software shortly. But i do not think it's the cams because they are a pretty mild grind and i wouldn't expect them to fluctuate 500 rpms [mad]

thanks for all the replies! [thumb] hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. [:D]

bartek

·
Registered
793 Posts
bmonninger said:
My car did the same thing after I installed the race header. It only did it whe the engine was cold. I installed a set of autolite double platinums and a set of ford racing spark plug wires. It seemed to help. I noticed a better response after I removed the O2 cheater.
I think the answer lies in the plugs, check your gapping or replace. Ive had this happen and that solved it for me

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i bet it has more to do with cams, if u havent messed with ur plugs since u put ur cams in i doubt its those. but there is a chance...

like everyone says just get the chip :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im sure that a LOT of people have had this problem. I do and i have the stock cams in my car. Just get a chip in there and call it a day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wrcRS said:
Im sure that a LOT of people have had this problem. I do and i have the stock cams in my car. Just get a chip in there and call it a day.
i don't think i can just "call it a day" I would like to get to the root of the problem, i doubt it's the cams... The next few days will tell...
thanks for all the replies!

bartek

·
Registered
919 Posts
Have you checked your exhaust yet? A bad exhaust leak would cause you to have no back pressure in turn cause you to idle funny... even stall.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
mconrada is prolly right. i installed my steeda shorty header the other day and never bothered to take it for a test drive because i was already too tired from messing with the bolts going into the block. (by the way, if you buy a shorty header, prepare to kill yourself trying to tighten those bolts on the block because the tubes get in the way.) anyways, i wen to start it the next day and kind of let it idle for a few minutes. the idle went up and down. i tapped the gas a couple of times and you could hear exhaust gasses leaking from one of the flanges. turns out, i didn't tighten the cat to the header tight enough. so i let the engine cool down(yeah, make sure its really cool first) everythings good now though. focus central high flow cat and magnaflow cat back is next. i can't wait.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the actual solution was raising the idle and blocking off the egr. it idles smoooooooth, but unfortunately she's up on blocks right now waiting for a marcymotorsport/mcleod clutch [8D] and a chip/maf/30# inj combo.

bartek

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
what did you use to block off the egr? and did you just adjust the throttle wire to raise the idle?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My car does that from time to time, only when it's at low temp, not when it's at normal. It stalled on me the other day and I was pissed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
initially i thought i had the idle screw set perfectly (because it used to idle like buttah) but since it started getting all shitty and rough i raised it a bit more and got a new air filter. to block off the egr, I put a couple pennies in the egr bung of my race header. Now the idle is purrrrrrrfect!

bartek

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
pennies? will that work on my stock cat? and to raise the idle, do you just adjust that little screw? pardon my ignorance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'd assume it would work on a stock header, but the possibility of throwing a CEL is probably better and it could kill your cat pretty quickly. you can only adjust your idle screw if you have an aftermarket tb (it takes a little trial and error but it aint too hard).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts