Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Focus came in on Friday. I was out of the area, so we decided we would pick it up tonight (Monday).

We arrived at the dealer at about 5:30. Our sales guy immediately showed us the car and let us take a test drive in it, while he was finishing with another customer. When I came back, it was about 45 minutes before the manager finished drawing up the "proposal" (keep in mind, all negotiating had been done already, and they knew we were coming in, this could have been done ahead of time).

By 7:00ish we were still waiting for the paperwork to be completed. Finally around 8:00pm the finance guy comes Around 8:00pm the finance guy comes up and grabs paperwork to see if they can beat our credit union's 1.99% rate. This takes another half hour.

When we finally went into his office around 8:30, we discovered that the price we agreed to is not what they were charging. We originally agreed to a price that only included the student discount, since that is valid through January, and the promotion at the time of the order was not going to still be valid.

The price they were charging had factored in the $500 retail cash already (which put us at $500 above what we were expecting) and they were also $500 less then the trade-in price of my car they had agreed to through email.

We proceeded to discuss this with the manager for another hour or so. When he did not budge we went back to talk to our sales guy. He was not able to change the manager's mind. We decided to go outside and talk it over. When we came back in, we had decided we would buy the car anyway, as the price was still good. This is when we discovered that the $389 doc fee we were told is now $448 (despite the fact the sales guy confirmed it as $389 today!). Again, the manager would not budge over the $60. I understand that in certain states you can not adjust the doc fee, but he could have dropped the car.

By the time all of this is done, its almost 9pm, their closing time (we came at 5:30). This is when we discover that the finance guy decided to transfer my registration before I even signed the paperwork! To top it off, the finance guy went home and none of the staff could find my old registration. The manager very tersely told us to leave without our registration and they would send us it tomorrow (no registration=illegal). He tried this several more times, including threatening us with calling the cops for trespassing. Finally, at around 9:45 I got so fed up, I called the cops myself. I informed them that the dealer had my registration, was refusing to give it back, and trying to make me drive home without it.

When the cops came, they ended up having to give me a business card with their names on it, so that if we got pulled over we could explain the situation.

This is NOT the way a car buying experience should be. A dealer should NEVER hold a registration hostage, lose it, or transfer it before the car has even been bought! I'm now forced to drive to work tomorrow without proof of registration in a car that the dealer registered to themselves before completing the sale.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
This is ridiculous! I hope you get it figured out soon! Definitely contact the BBB in regards to your dealership, as they refused to honor a previously agreed upon deal, and if you feel like really sticking it to them, get with your local newspaper/TV news crew. Negative publicity will go a LONG way, and they WILL make it right, and then just go to a different dealership.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I'd walk away from it and call the BBB. Man I can't stand dealerships and there BS run around they do. Making you wait for NO reason other than to stress you out to get you to agree with offer. It's BS that's for sure. Good luck with what ever happens.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Wow, thats ridiculous, like sleepyboy said, id walk away from the whole thing, call BBB, file a complaint, google review complaint, ripoffreport.com report, etc. Hell, you could even call your local news agency and tell them about it.

You may have to go another route to get your new car, but watching all the bad press that dealership is going to get would be worth it :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
Get it in writing folks

While what they did seems unreasonable, especially the holding of the registration, I still think the negotiations are not over until it is in writing (one formal document). That's why I don't assume anything and make sure when we strike a deal every detail including doc fee etc... is in writing and I have a copy of it. No writing, no deal yet. Assume nothing.

I knew it was going to take a while to get all the final paperwork done so I chose to wait until the next day and went in around 10am. I was out of there around 12:30 or 1:00pm.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I feel bad your experience was so bad. Mine was great. in and out of the dealership in about an hour and a half and then came back after class to pick up my car and drop my trade in off too. I would have refused to buy the car, but I'm stubborn.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I don't understand something...

When I ordered my car last December, the price was agreed upon then and (of course) everything was put in writing. When I picked the car up, I brought a cashiers check for the agreed upon amount (minus the $500 deposit) and I was out the door in less than 1 hour.

It's nice to think that you can trust your dealer, but for such a large transaction I can't imagine not having everything in writing. Otherwise, it may become a case of your word vs. the word of your salesperson.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Also which part of your paperwork is the doc fee?

On my paperwork it says document administrative fee: $75
Or are you talking about the license and title fees? Mine for those were $291

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm looking at my original paperwork that had all the agreed upon details and it states "Processing fee for consumer services". Mine was capped at $75 because I used the X-Plan pricing. It is still a negotiable fee no matter how you look at it.

For those of you who bought with a cashiers check, of course it won't take that long to finalize the paper work because there is no financing phase to go through.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer was sheehy ford of Warrenton va.

I sent this thread to Natasha and i am goin to talk to the dealer gm and hopefully their corporate office today.

I'll see what happens.

As far as the price, I had everything in emails, so there was a paper trail, i guess that was not good enough.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I feel bad for your experience. Really bad !
If my dealer would have done the same - change anything in what the deal was first - I'd be gone from its yard in 30 seconds. Even if the car was customized for me at my instructions, there are plenty other dealers that would take my command happily. I think he was sure you will stick to your car and took advantage on this or your sales person screw you big time. [boxface]
Strange though, you didn't have something in writting about the price of your car at hand. I did had from the sales person a copy of whatever we decided after our negociation.

P.S. My experience with the dealer was completely different from yours. In fact, I had everything signed up in less than a hour and the car was ready waiting for me to drive it home.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lol don't even think about buying that car from them. That's what gives dealers a bad name. When I buy cars now, I negotiate the trade/details up front, and when the car comes in (if it's a dealer trade etc) and they call me, over the phone I go over the pricing/trade/fees again quickly, and tell them if anything is different when I get to the dealer, I walk no questions. If they aren't ready for me at my appt time, I walk. If they try for more than 5 minutes to sell me gap insurance or any other BS, I walk.

I've been in and out of that dealer doing a trade for a new car in less than 30 minutes several times now. No wasting of anyone's time and no hurt feelings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is where I bought my Focus. I did not have a problem with the price and they did not change it. After the sale my sales person could care less to give me the time of day. The service department is good though. I had to take it for a problem with the sun roof, got a loaner and fixed in a day. I do have the 5yr/100,000 full warrenty.

go here and make a post, http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Sheehy-Ford-Warrenton-review-38080/

They follow it closely. I would also complain to whoever is higher up on than who you were talking too. They have a good rep, this seems odd. make sure they know that the BBB will hear about this, and that online reviews will be posted.

good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Making you wait for NO reason other than to stress you out to get you to agree with offer.
Bingo! The other dealer I went to did this to me. If you go there and decide you are willing to walk out after a certain amount of time, you will save yourself time and money!

Dealer was sheehy ford of Warrenton va.

s far as the price, I had everything in emails, so there was a paper trail, i guess that was not good enough.
Email is as good as a written document! Print all the Emails out and bring them with you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bingo! The other dealer I went to did this to me. If you go there and decide you are willing to walk out after a certain amount of time, you will save yourself time and money!

Email is as good as a written document! Print all the Emails out and bring them with you.
I did, they did not care.

I will update after I speak to the GM.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wow, never heard of that before in my life. If you had a bill of sale from your original negotiation that should be that. I'd report them to ford, the BBB, your states BBB and walk away from the deal.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Possibly, but only if they were sent from the sales manager himself. The document I had was signed by myself and the the sales manager. That forms a binding agreement right there. An email from your sales guy is practically worthless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Possibly, but only if they were sent from the sales manager himself. The document I had was signed by myself and the the sales manager. That forms a binding agreement right there. An email from your sales guy is practically worthless.
I fully agree. Best practice at the time of order is a sales order document signed by dealer sales/management and the buyer explicitly spelling out the price and all terms of the order including car specs, price, deposit, financing, trade (if applicable) etc. I have never purchased/ordered a car without a legal written agreement. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a "he said, she said" scenario.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts