Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

When I pull off in my Fofo, there is a horrible Knocking sound coming from underneath the car. It used to be a creaking sound, but seems to have escalated. It also does not happen every day. Mainly when its cold start, or when its wet. Dry days, or when the car has been running for a while it does not normally do it.

Also when it was the creak, if I reversed sharply, there was a loud knock, and then it stopped creaking.

I have had my mechanic friend check it out and he has said the following:

1) Could be the driveshaft - replaced. cost-£120.00 - although it was dead, it was not that.
2) Could be the drop links - nope
3) Suspension - nope
4) Diff/gearbox - not sure.

If it was the gearbox/diff, would there not be a constant knocking/grinding? I am running out of options, as i really dont want to get rid of the car, especially if its something that can be repaired for a reasonable amount of money.

Not gonna take it to Ford either till i have exhausted every option.

Pls Pls help me!

Bear

·
Registered
426 Posts
i have the same problem. it seems to be worse when starting off going uphill and slipping the slipping the clutch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea what it coul dbe though? I'm worried that my gearbox is gonna fall off, or my chassis snap! (not really that worried, but my Mrs wont listen to me!)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Sounds like a worn motor mount to me......fairly common problem with a Focus. Certainly can be intermittent, and can make loud noises when starting to move. Next thing to check I guess...

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Replace the lower rear motor mount. You can just put new inserts in the stock mount, OR there are several mounts out there to purchase. They are none to get loose and make all sorts of noise. Mine was loud on hard acceleration as things were hitting together. Replace that and grease the endlinks on the swaybar!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Hmmm... I think I had this sound for a while a few months ago, but only after the car had sat overnight and ONLY upon first launch (which is usually reverse). I kinda figured it was nothing to worry about (figured it was overnight oxidation on something-or-other).

But NOW, maybe that's my perfect excuse to finally buy a CFM rear mount... [thumb]

If and when you find the source, please let us know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you do have a worn mount and it allows any part of the exhaust to make contact with the body you can get some weird noises. The noise can materialize as almost anything at times but usually will change when you change direction. Changing direction makes the motor torque the other way and possible stop the exhaust contact. If you have an automatic have someone else powerbrake the car in drive and then reverse. Only do this for a short moment. You do not need to go full throttle either. Watch the enginie while you do this and note any excsive movement. Some movement is normal but anything excessive should be checked out.
Ken

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Is the sound is occurring when you are turning the wheel? If so , Revisit suspension. Specifically, the front upper strut mounts. The mount has a bearing that allows you front springs to rotate. If that bearing is gone, then your front springs are absorbing the rotational force when turning the wheel. It starts with a 'groan', then progresses to a 'pop' as the spring overcomes the bearing. Or in my case, it was 'groaaaaan, pop,pop,pop'. As its a bearing, it may be intermittent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the sound is occurring when you are turning the wheel? If so , Revisit suspension. Specifically, the front upper strut mounts. The mount has a bearing that allows you front springs to rotate. If that bearing is gone, then your front springs are absorbing the rotational force when turning the wheel. It starts with a 'groan', then progresses to a 'pop' as the spring overcomes the bearing. Or in my case, it was 'groaaaaan, pop,pop,pop'. As its a bearing, it may be intermittent.
Thats roughly what it is. I might take it to a different mechanic, and have them check that, Will also look at the engine mounts!

Cheers all. I will keep you updated!!

Bear

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replace the lower rear motor mount. You can just put new inserts in the stock mount, OR there are several mounts out there to purchase. They are none to get loose and make all sorts of noise. Mine was loud on hard acceleration as things were hitting together. Replace that and grease the endlinks on the swaybar!
Ok, all engine mounts checked, the only one that needed attention was the Upper drivers side mount, which is being replaced on Saturday/Sunday.

Fingers crossed.

On the plus side, since this morning, there has been no knocking or creaking. Not sure why.... I might just trade the thing in!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you find out anything about the upper strut bearing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just changed out my upper strut bearings this weekend and the nasty knocking went away. Curious to see how your situation went.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines gone altogether - without any replacements. not sure how or why, might just have been something out of place, as when everything was checked, nothing else happened. Mystery...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Quick question to someone that may have an answer to. My rear motor mount bracket is broken, and with that i do get a grinding noise when driving, So the whole thing moves back and forth under acceleration, but i try to be as easy on it as possible, because when it swings back and hits the bracket is such a terrible sound, so i try and sink the clutch before letting off the gas to keep it from doing that and it works most of the time, but i just want to know if this will damage the tranny?? And secondly is it possible to install that incorrectly?? because this happened after i swapped my clutch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts